Help with coralife skimmer 65

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Yeshiva, Apr 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yeshiva

Yeshiva Plankton

Hi guys I just got a coralife skimmer for 5 days now for my 30g tank and it's skimming with moderate waste being sucked out. The problem is that there is too much noise from the skimmer. The noise is not from the power head or the air intake. It seems like the moise is from the tube between air intake and the power head. In the tube I can see a white line mix of air and water going into the skimmer. Is it still breaking in? I have a valve to controll the flow, if I open that all the way the noise seems to be less. If anyone can help it is greatly appreciated :).

Also there is microbubbles everywhere :-/ is that normal also?

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Is there micro bubbles outside the skimmer? Make sure the hoses are tight and maybe adjust the flow on the knob above the pump. It could very well still be breaking in

4. Yeshiva

Yeshiva Plankton

I have no sump and it's a hang on top skimmer

The microbubble is all over inside the tank making it look very cloudy. All the hosese are secured and the microbubbles are coming out from the output hose into the tank.

The sound is still very loud kind of like a loud bubbly sound from the skimmer body...:-/

Thanks

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

6. Yeshiva

Yeshiva Plankton

Ok from the site looks like its good way to get rid of the microbubbles but how do I get rid of the noise from the skimmer? It sounds like a bubble machin in my house.. The sound is not from the powerhead or the air in take its weird bubble sound from the whole skimmer. Any advice is welcome thanks

7. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I heard someone ran over it with their car- I would recommend doing this then buying a new one because the coralife one stinks. Cosmo even only used it for a month!

8. Click Here!

9. Yeshiva

Yeshiva Plankton

Hahaha if I had the cash to run it over I would believe me...I got it as discount so it's final sale and don't really wanna spend again on a skimmer...would rather get some corals instead! I am hoping the noise will subside as well as the microbubbles .. Fingers crossed ::):cry:

10. PAiiN

PAiiN Plankton

Make sure you have the air tube silencer on the air line going into the pump. It should be a grey cylinder with two ports on top. Attach the line to one of them. If you dont have one or threw it away by mistake I've heard people making them out of old camera film canisters.

If the silencer isnt on, It will sound like a mini jet plane.

11. Yeshiva

Yeshiva Plankton

Thanks PAiIN I checked the silencer is on there and it still sounds like a mini jet plane. I did routin check on the pipe and air leak but couldn't find any...is my skimmer defected? It's making skimate but it's just the sound so loud...

12. PAiiN

PAiiN Plankton

I have the same skimmer. I don't really care for it now and if I had to do it over again I would probably get a different one. As far as the loudness...have you tried adjusting the red flow valve to the lowest setting? I pretty much leave the red flow valve turned down all the way. I have adjusted the main valve coming from the pump up into the skimmer to where the microbubbles are just above the bottom of the cone. From there you can adjust the red knob to slightly raise the level of the microbubbles to either dry skim or wet skim. If you get the main valve to the right place you shouldn't really need to adjust the red knob. The more open the red valve is, the louder I have noticed the skimmer running and the more microbubbles it produces.

If it still is really loud maybe your unit is defective. I have my tank right by our family room tv. Although you do hear a little of the bubbling, its not enough to interupt watching tv. I did build my own canopy and it has helped a lot with the noise of the skimmer and carbon/phosphate filter.

Best of luck. If you do have to get another hob skimmer I would go either a reef octopus or a cpr aeroforce 2. Both have great reviews and are under $200.