Diablo Cone Skimmer: The Devil is in the Details

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Production begins this week on the new Diablo Cone Skimmer! This skimmer was designed for small sumps with a footprint of 12.5" x 8.5" x 19.5" and with a twist turn cup removal that requires very little clearance to remove. This smaller skimmer will pack a big punch though with a pinwheel driven pump that pulls an amazing 20-25scfh (700LPH) of air! The price has not been set, but we were told it will be affordable and 3reef Sponsor Reef Specialty will have it in about two months.

[​IMG]
    The New Diablo Cone Skimmer

This 3" x 6" Cone skimmer is powered by a 13watt Diablo/Devil pinwheel driven pump that pulls an amazing 20-25scfh (700LPH) of air. Footprint of 12.5" x 8.5" x 19.5" tall which makes this skimmer a prime candidate for those with small sumps but require a good performing skimmer that won't break the budget. It has all the goodies including a bubble chamber, silencer, cup drain, easy to use twist turn cup removal (requires very little clearance to remove), wedge valve and needle wheel. With this skimmers molded venturi and well designed pinwheel it does not require a unreliable mesh wheel to get performance needed to max out the body. This skimmer should fill the gap for those in need of a performing skimmer for their vulnerable small systems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reef Specialty Web site:
    Reef Specialty - Reef Specialty

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

for looks alone it wins prizes in my book
    I hope someone gets one and offers us a review

these cone skimmers are tempting me to look at a sump build myself these days
    any HOB versions in the pipeline?

Steve

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

interesting new product matt. any idea what type of tank gallons that would work best with?

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

i will sacrifice myself for a free test trial. :) . if it fits in my sump. lol

6. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Ha! Way to take one for the team! :)
    what a trooper!

(I don't blame you for selflessly and bravely offering yourself up like that - this looks like a nifty skimmer)

:)

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Looks like SWC might have some competition in the small cone arena area soon!

From the implied by footprint size of the body and air pull of the pump, it sounds very comparable to the Xtreme 160 cone. Sounds like it should be rated for tanks ranging from 100-150 gallons.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

10. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

hmm now the real questions. SWC Xtreme 160 or Diablo Cone Skimmer. I guess I'll wait and see how much it is and what its rated for...

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

What pump does it have and how big is the neck? anyone?

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

We need a comparison test.

If I wasn't biased towards SWC, I would consider doing it.