Coralife super skimmer 65G question.

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by reefnJeff, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

The skimmer is still in it's break in period and I have not cycled the tank yet, but the so called microbubble diffuser is not working properly as 100's of microbubbles are escaping in to the tank, I had placed an additional piece of material on the sponge already in there, it worked for a period of time, but now I am getting bubbles in the tank again, anyone knows a good rememedy for this or know why it's doing this? in the pic you can't actually see the microbubbles, but you can see it all over the equipment.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I used to have that skimmer, i found it to be junk IMO. The microbubble problem you are facing is widely known amognst users of this skimmer. I had to remove all the sponges it came with, and just put a bit of filter floss in the bottom. I also removed the extension tube so it had a little time to fall before hitting the water, this helped reduced bubble output as well. Good Luck.

4. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I wouldn't call it junk. I have one and am still using it. I started using it as a HOB, but now have it in my sump. I like it both ways, but it was a little finnicky as an HOB. I actually added a piece of pvc with a tee in between the skimmer and the diffusion box. It helped significantly. It seemed like the tee gave it a spot for the bubbles escape before getting to the box. In the sump I have been very happy with it. Not the best, but I like it and have been able to make it work well for me.

5. Dragon moray ki

Dragon moray ki Astrea Snail

I have the a bigger size one and I took off the diffuser and added a longer hose on the return. Hope this helps.

6. PAiiN

PAiiN Plankton

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

yeah if you mod them i hear they work really well

8. Click Here!

9. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

Third pic down in the blog is basically what i did and it helped alot. By routing that into the diffuser, I got no microbubbles into the tank.

I have been very happy with mine. I know everyone says you should not have to mod a good product, and I somewhat agree. However, for what this skimmer costs, I didn't mind spending another $5 and about 10 minutes to make it work how I wanted. To me, even the best products cannot be made in an absolutely one size fits all format and may need a little tweak here and there to fit an exact situation. I think this setup was designed to be an in sump skimmer, but can be an effective HOB as well.

10. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Thanks for the help, I took that flex tube completely off, helped a little, surely a lot of air getting in to that diffuser, hahaha! that's why I called it the so called diffuser, it's really ain't diffusing anything, I will look that over and try to work it out, I don't like that stuff in the tank to began with, I guess my next project will be either an HOB refugium or maybe a sump, it's only 40gals not sure if maybe a sump is a little much for a tank that size.

11. PAiiN

PAiiN Plankton

Its been ok for me. The only complaints I have is the PITA removal of the collection cup and the huge diffuser box. Definitely will upgrade after I get more on my "equipment list".

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Not really. If you're into modding something just to get it to work properly, why not just order up a $35 skimmer from China on eBay? Same results in the end. The super skimmers are terribly overpriced for what they are.