confused on bio balls

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Afterdark230, Jun 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Afterdark230

Afterdark230 Flamingo Tongue

ok I am looking at the e.t.s.s. skimmers, but they use bio balls in the chambers. but I thought I read all over the forum that bio balls were bad, but then I reed that a few of you use these bio balls in the skimmer. :confused:

I think I read that tangster uses the e.t.s.s. skimmers and has no problems.:confused:

so please help out a very confused guy here.
    :help::dunce2:
    thanks
    Matt

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Pm Tangster if you want an answer from him, much quicker and trust me, after all that I have bugged him I know that he doesn't mind!!

4. Afterdark230

Afterdark230 Flamingo Tongue

yes I could do that but I am sure there are other people that would like to know the answer to this

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have always used BB's but in my W/D, not in my skimmer. Which skimmer uses BB's in it? Theres only two pieces of equipment that I've seen that has BB's, A W/D and a Denitrator(sp). Luna

6. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

OK this is an old post and I guess I'm hijacking it. I have an ETSS skimmer to and this whole anti-bio ball thing is throwing me for a loop.

I've only had a fish only tank so maybe I'm in left field with me hockey skates on but why would we not what something in our tank that is creating nitrates... that's the result of getting rid of the really bad stuff! :confused:

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK.....this confused me at first......but thinking on it, I would venture to guess that the bioballs and filter socks collect a lot of junk that just begins to rot. That sends out NH4, which the LR bacteria turns into nitrite then nitrate. That garbage never gets skimmed out. It just sits in the media and turns it into a nitrate factory.

Now.......that's purely a guess. I really don't know. Someone who is a pro needs to verify my statement. I am just a newbie.

Rock on.......John.

8. Click Here!

9. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

That makes sense but I guess what I can't follow is how is that bad. The NH4 are not just released from demposition they are a product of the nitrogen cycle. If "stuff" is collecting on them then I would say that the problem is too much "stuff" not the bio balls. It will collect somewhere eventually so it will still end up as NH4 when it decompese.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I agree with you, it doesnt matter what the "object" is, where it be BB's, LR, LS or filter pads, it will collect where ever enough flow isnt present. Luna

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I was thinking that the garbage was getting trapped before it could get to the skimmer, then rot. If the bioballs or sock were not there, the PS would get it out of the tank, into to collection cup and out of the system. Then it could rot alllllll it wants.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sounds good on paper, but in real life that doesnt work. Unless you have a real strong flow/current without any interference and thats almost impossible. Luna