ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Flamingo Tongue

Skin: Mint
Afterdark230 will become famous soon enoughAfterdark230 will become famous soon enoughAfterdark230 will become famous soon enough

gallery
Default confused on bio balls

ok I am looking at the e.t.s.s. skimmers, but they use bio balls in the chambers. but I thought I read all over the forum that bio balls were bad, but then I reed that a few of you use these bio balls in the skimmer.

I think I read that tangster uses the e.t.s.s. skimmers and has no problems.

so please help out a very confused guy here.

thanks
Matt
Afterdark230 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Fu Manchu Lion Fish

bmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond reputebmshehan has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

Pm Tangster if you want an answer from him, much quicker and trust me, after all that I have bugged him I know that he doesn't mind!!
bmshehan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Flamingo Tongue

Afterdark230 will become famous soon enoughAfterdark230 will become famous soon enoughAfterdark230 will become famous soon enough

gallery

yes I could do that but I am sure there are other people that would like to know the answer to this
Afterdark230 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
lunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

I have always used BB's but in my W/D, not in my skimmer. Which skimmer uses BB's in it? Theres only two pieces of equipment that I've seen that has BB's, A W/D and a Denitrator(sp). Luna
lunatik_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Skunk Shrimp

Jakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of light

gallery

OK this is an old post and I guess I'm hijacking it. I have an ETSS skimmer to and this whole anti-bio ball thing is throwing me for a loop.

I've only had a fish only tank so maybe I'm in left field with me hockey skates on but why would we not what something in our tank that is creating nitrates... that's the result of getting rid of the really bad stuff!
Jakerupe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
Giant Squid

PharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

OK.....this confused me at first......but thinking on it, I would venture to guess that the bioballs and filter socks collect a lot of junk that just begins to rot. That sends out NH4, which the LR bacteria turns into nitrite then nitrate. That garbage never gets skimmed out. It just sits in the media and turns it into a nitrate factory.

Now.......that's purely a guess. I really don't know. Someone who is a pro needs to verify my statement. I am just a newbie.

Rock on.......John.
PharmrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Skunk Shrimp

Jakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of light

gallery

That makes sense but I guess what I can't follow is how is that bad. The NH4 are not just released from demposition they are a product of the nitrogen cycle. If "stuff" is collecting on them then I would say that the problem is too much "stuff" not the bio balls. It will collect somewhere eventually so it will still end up as NH4 when it decompese.
Jakerupe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Giant Squid

lunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerupe View Post
That makes sense but I guess what I can't follow is how is that bad. The NH4 are not just released from demposition they are a product of the nitrogen cycle. If "stuff" is collecting on them then I would say that the problem is too much "stuff" not the bio balls. It will collect somewhere eventually so it will still end up as NH4 when it decompese.
I agree with you, it doesnt matter what the "object" is, where it be BB's, LR, LS or filter pads, it will collect where ever enough flow isnt present. Luna
Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Giant Squid

PharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond reputePharmrJohn has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatik_69 View Post
I agree with you, it doesnt matter what the "object" is, where it be BB's, LR, LS or filter pads, it will collect where ever enough flow isnt present. Luna
I was thinking that the garbage was getting trapped before it could get to the skimmer, then rot. If the bioballs or sock were not there, the PS would get it out of the tank, into to collection cup and out of the system. Then it could rot alllllll it wants.
PharmrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Giant Squid

3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmrjohn View Post
I was thinking that the garbage was getting trapped before it could get to the skimmer, then rot. If the bioballs or sock were not there, the PS would get it out of the tank, into to collection cup and out of the system. Then it could rot alllllll it wants.
Sounds good on paper, but in real life that doesnt work. Unless you have a real strong flow/current without any interference and thats almost impossible. Luna

Click Here!