ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Skin: Mint
alexander has much to be proud ofalexander has much to be proud ofalexander has much to be proud ofalexander has much to be proud ofalexander has much to be proud ofalexander has much to be proud ofalexander has much to be proud ofalexander has much to be proud ofalexander has much to be proud of

gallery
Default Best protein skimmer for the money

What is the best protein skimmer for the best deal in your opinion?

I have a 112g with 29 gallon sump that I am currently setting up, and am struggling on which skimmer to buy?

I was thinking about the Reef Octo-NW 150.

What do you think I should get?
I don't have a set budget, I'm just looking for best bang for my buck.

Thanks,
Alex
alexander is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
GuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

I recently bought a new skimmer not too long ago. I went through the same thing your doing now. My decision came down to either an ASM or Precision Marine. I decided on the PM Redline 125. I have not regretted it. It's rated up to 125 gallons, built like a tank and so easy to setup and run. It was also cheaper then the ASM equivalent or other similarly sized models. IMO, it was a real deal, but not many people seem to have them. You can check out the review section b/c I did a review of the skimmer there.
GuitarMan89 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Snowflake Eel

Iraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

ASM G2, buy it, love it, clean it pretty much in that order
Iraf is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

infamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I-Tech Skimmers are the BEST for the money.

Ultra Quiet and a beast of a skimmer

i have the 100 model. Each one is hand made.

Last edited by infamous; 11-16-2009 at 03:29 PM.
infamous is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Giant Squid

Powerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

There is no way you are going to get a right answer on this.

Acrylic is just plastic. Cell cast is better quality. Machined PVC is nice. The best build is Bubble King hands down. Flippin' works of art. ATB is another top builder, Vertex Alpha series. Other top builders are Warner Marine, MSX, Tunze. Better build quality and materials cost more money though. It is up to you to decide what you are willing to pay for.

The pump is the heart of the skimmer. What do you think is worth the money? Laguna based pumps such as Red Dragon and Askoll are very nice. Super build, many electronic protection features. Ultra quiet. Sicce is a very common good pump. Tunze.... Then you get to cheap loud and crappy pumps. Not very good, but super cheap to replace. Do you think it is worth paying $600 for a Red Dragon. Some folks do. Some folks think Quiet ones are all they need.

So what do you value? Built like a tank? Silent operation? Consistent long term performance? Easily replacable parts? Disposable stuff?

Personally, I would own any skimmer Warner Marine makes. (HOB, cylinder, cone) I would go with a MSX over a Octo (but OCto Ex is solid stuff). You want what most folks compare their cones too, (and copy) get an ATB. You want the Rolls Royce, get a Bubble King. You want great performance for cheap, get a Vertex IN series.
Powerman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Kole Tang

Skin: Dark
yamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Powerman said it all!
yamaharider73 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #7

infamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond reputeinfamous has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

My skimmer can go head to head with any Bubble king or Bubble doodle, much quiter and cheaper i might add

My I-Tech 100 Protein Skimmer
Old 11-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Giant Squid

Powerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous View Post
I-Tech Skimmers are the BEST for the money.
There are others that perform just as well for less. Not saying yours is not a great skimmer, and you are happy for the price you paid, but "the best for the money" is a hard statement to swallow.

Seriously, have you ever heard a Bubble King?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #9

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
There are others that perform just as well for less. Not saying yours is not a great skimmer, and you are happy for the price you paid, but "the best for the money" is a hard statement to swallow.

Those skimmer are as quiet? Nope

Made in USA? Nope

Amazing customer service? Nope

Price of a Bubble king makes me ignore a bubble king

Have you ever used an I-tech skimmer?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Giant Squid

contributor 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous View Post
Those skimmer are as quiet? Nope

Made in USA? Nope

Amazing customer service? Nope

Price of a Bubble king makes me ignore a bubble king

Now you are just being silly.

Red Dragon set the bar for quiet. RE customer service is as good as it gets. Does not mean I-tech can't match, but don't tell me they are "better". Tunze is renowned for CS, ATB is down right legendary, WM has taken great care of me, and when I call the number John Warner answers the phone. Made is good ole USA too. I-tech has not cornered that market.

I have never used an I-tech, and I have never said they were poor performers. Their customers love them. I see no reason to disagree. For me, I always just figured why not get what they were copied off of with better construction if I was going to go that route.

Click Here!

Tags
skimmer