Seaclone Skimmers

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Craig Manoukian, Dec 16, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I know that Seaclone skimmers get a bad rap. It is my understanding that there is a difference between their hang-on and in-sump skimmers. There is even a difference between the nwer models of hang-on skimmers. The difference is the size and efficiency of their pumps which were improved for the model year 2002.

I have two Seaclone hang-on skimmers. A Seaclone 100 is on my 29 gallon tank, and a Seaclone 150 is on my 80 gallon reef. Both are very efficient skimmers and do an admirable job.

The Seaclone 150 works side by side with a CPR BakPakII. They both perform equally as well. The collection rate is almost identical for each skimmer. The Seaclone takes less room than the CPR BakPakII, not as wide, and I purchased it on-line for $70 less than a new CPR, or $90 delivered. The CPR is a reconditioned unit that I got for around $100.

I hope this information is helpful as you evaluate your hang-on skimmer options.

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good info Craig. [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

Always better to hear this from somebody that actually has owned one or two.

4. ladyof_thesea

ladyof_thesea Plankton

just purchased sea clone skimmer need to ask about problems

5. Guest

Guest Guest

i bought a seaclone 150. after i let the Stresscoat slime clear out of my tank it works fine.

It produces about 1/4 cup of real dark brown skimmate every day and i don't have to tweak it. i am 100% happy with the thing now that it works.

at first, it was a complete train wreck. then i found out
    if you use stress coat or aloe or anything that improves fish slime coat, it will screw up your skimmer no matter what.

lose the glop and your seaclone 150 will work very very well. the stuff it skims out looks like coffee with real dry foam. it's a good skimmer.

j

6. mcbelly

mcbelly Plankton

I have a Seaclone 100 on a 26 bowfront. I bought it before I read all the terrible reviews on the net. Just like yours mine is working fine. I have nice frothy skimmate bubbling into the collection cup all the time. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had success with the Seaclone. For a smaller tank like mine I think the Seaclone is a great bargin, I paid $65 for mine.

7. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I have a SeaClone 100 in my 35 gal. and I am having problems with it spitting bubbles back into the tank! This is not good (from what I hear and read) and I am therefore looking into a Remora Pro!

-Mike

8. Click Here!

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Mirosh, is your skimmer new? do you have your output piped into a sponge, or away from the return pump?

Mine did they same at first, but I re-made the output pipe to output into my secondary filter sponge and it completely did away with the bubbles...
    As long as the output doesn't splash or output right next to the return pump it shouldn't spit to many bubbles out...

Sco

10. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

The skimmer is about a month old and I do not have the output pumped into a sponge. I didnt mod mine at all...any pictures and/or descriptions of how you modified yours so that it doesnt spill the bubbly (yet clean) water right next to your pump and/or splash?

Thanks,
    Mike

11. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

This is one a little while back. Since this picture was taken, I've added a check valve in the horizonal pipe of the output. My (I think all) water heigth is directly controlled by the output pressure, so when I tighten the valve, it raises the water level.

But I get 0 bubbles in my tank.

Sco

Attached Files:

12. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

heres another diagram I had . The red dot things are the check valves.

If you do install a check valve, get one that opens and closes easily, or else it will give you a real hard time!!

hope it helps!

Sco

Attached Files: