Jungle CO2 ?

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Ash and Mike, Aug 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ash and Mike

Ash and Mike Astrea Snail

Hey guys, (Ash here)

So I've started a small 20-gallon planted tank. So far I've put in the bio dirt thing on the bottom and some small gravel on the top, I have bought one type of plant, Hygrophila stricta.... There are about 4 little stems of each of them, ranging from about 2" to 4" tall. Anyhows, my question was.... is this product any good for a planted tank?
    Jungle CO2 Fizz Factory and Accessories - Live Plant Care - Fish - PetSmart

It's called Jungle CO2 Fizz Factory

I know that plants need CO2 but I didn't know whether or not to use this or to let nature take its course. I am not trying to spend thousands on this little project tank, but wanted an inexpensive way to bring plants indoors. =)

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Old plastic drink bottle and brewers yeast will do the same thing if you are going with a planted tank best figure on a CO2 bottle and a regulator and diffuser

4. Ash and Mike

So you say that that Jungle CO2 thing won't be enough to provide for my 20gallon? :( .... I'm new to the planted tank and the DIY bottle thing sounds a bit scary, lol.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

really i think the additives(iron etc) and right spectrum lighting are the most important things when doing a planted tank. if you add a couple fish that should help with the CO2
    however if your looking to do a really incredible tank your gonna have to buy a real co2 tank and valve. i tried those cheap version such as the yeast or the fizz things i would say the results where questionable at best

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would also by the special planting sand.

7. Ash and Mike

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

when i was in planted freshwater tanks i wanted to get one but it was too expensive for me then(even though i have one now on my calcium reactor). you can get some really incredible tanks with co2 injection
    YouTube - 55 gal Planted Tank CO2 Video 2/3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my lfs never had them for planted tanks but the same system they use on calcium reactors can be used on the planted tanks. just make sure you read up on it. too much co2=dead fish

10. Ash and Mike

BEAUTIFUL TANKS! I am overwhelmed with how amazing those look. Although I had been reading up where I can, and I am willing to put in a lot of work, but I don't have the $$ to splurge on it like Mike and I did on our reef tank.

For the first picture, I see pipeing so I am going to assume that is for filtration and possibly for the CO2 you were mentioning?

But for the last two I don't see any pipes, so I was wondering how you had those set up?

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

there not mine lol like you i didn't have the money for the system when i was doing planted tanks. more than likely on the side of the tanks is a overflow and the co2 injection happens in a sump or maybe the guy just took out the equipment for the picture. however i am 99% sure that these are co2 injection because the plants get a better looking color green with it.
    heres another picture if im not mistaken this is some ones thats famous in planted tanks dont remember his name
    [​IMG]

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

WOW!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: That tank is freakin awesome......