You know your in the wrong LFS when...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by tank1970, Dec 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

#1 The Aiptasia out number the corals in their display tank.
    #2 Try to sell you a fresh water filtration system.
    #3 Tell you a damsel is a peaceful fish
    #4 Will test your water for free with expired testing kit.
    #5 let you know GHA is a nice addition to your tank and they have a ton of it.
    #6 You ask for a Clean Up Crew and they ask what that type of fish is that.
    #7 Tell you not to believe things you read on line.

Believe it or not but I have seen all 7 already :eek: and I have only been in this obsession for 4 months LOL

I am sure others can add more

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great list

1 person likes this.
  4. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

you can add:
    #8 dead fishes floating in DT
    #9 tells you they don't need test their water cause they use "this product"
    #10 try to sell you caulerpa to put in your DT
    beleive it or not all the 10 above i found them in the lfs near me. luckily i visit this forum but imagine how many people get fooled.

5. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Hahaha. I have only been in it for 3 months and I have heard all these things except number 6. Instead they told me all I would need is turbo snails and nothing else. I asked for nessarius snails and they tried to order me moon snails! And they sale clams! (moon snails eat clams)

I feel your pain. I have a salt water addiction, the LFS tries to ruin my tank, and the online stores try to empty my wallet. Where's the cure?

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one. (Or shouldn't I?)

6. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

one more thing have you seen a store that sells "white Sebae"?

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

You know when your in the wrong LFS
    When you arrive at the agreed time, after having arranged to meet someone there
    and they call you on the mobile and ask "where are you"

Steve

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

No matter what two things you ask about, their compatable. Puffers and snails, yep get along fine. Of course cardinals get along with triggers and lionfish, they're practically cousins. Your zoas will be fine with a raccoon butterflyfish. No matter what it is they want that sale.

No matter what fish you ask about, it will fit in your tank. Tang in a 25gallon, sure. Grouper in a nano, yep.

10. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well I consider myself very lucky and found a local saltwater enthusiast that has been in the trade for over 15 years. He orders for me an his tanks are always top notch.

I also got #9 LOL

The one that kills me the most is when I started to read up and do research and asked them questions of what I had read - the response was don't believe everything you read.
    The question I asked was: Do Aiptasia create any problems with coral - thats what I read.
    Response: Those people on the forums are not right having a few Aiptasia adds life to your aquarium

11. DARKHAVEN

DARKHAVEN Astrea Snail

back when i was setting up my first tank i went in to buy live rock. Clerk was busy so i was looking at fish while he helped someone else. I was looking at a Lion fish when he came over. He asked if i wanted it. i said no just need some live rock and that my tank has only been up for a couple days and i plan on doing a reef tank. lol he responds that my tank should be plenty cycled by now and that the lion fish would be ok in a reef tank. I just got my rock and never went back to that store again

12. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

When you walk in and they're replacing their T5 bulbs with new ones and putting the old ones back in the box to sell. :eek: I've heard of it happening.