Would a sea hare survive?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by smitty65, Nov 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. smitty65

smitty65 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have horrible hair algae I can't get under control. I was told a sea hare would take care of it but I am afraid it will get eaten so I have 2 questions.

1. My fish list is as follows: banana wrasse, volitan, niger, blue throat, fox, SFeel, emperor, tomato clown, yellow tang and a squirrel fish. Could the sea hare live with these guys?

2. Do they release any toxins with the ink?

I don't run any filtration other than a Berlin XL skimmer and a sump/fuge full of chaeto. That's why I am afraid of the toxins. I would have no way to filter them.

On a side note. Should I look into getting more filtration for my tank? As in a canister filter?

2. Click Here!

3. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

ive always thought that sea hares were cold water ? i could be wrong though :) you are better off getting to the sourse of the hair algae problem ie too much light , over feeding and high nitrates phosphates . Test the tank and post the results so everyone here can help you!!:)

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I had a sea hare in my 12 gallon nano cube.... Took care of the hare algae problem fast. problem was it ran out of food quick and i had to take it back to my buddies store. the source like matt said is the main problem.... but a sea hare will keep it under control until you find the culprit>>>>>>> I don't think anything would eat the sea hare. let me check with my resources and i'll post more later.......good luck

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

even in my 55gallon tank my seahare was starving after it ate all the hair algae and started eat my gsp i guess cause its green like the algae.i double anything would eat a live seahare,and i doubt it will release ink unless sevearly spooked.

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I think you have something...I see sea hares here in the frigid California waters. See them sometimes in the tide pools.

California scuba is cold :-X

7. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I pretty much only have a skimmer running on my tank. Live rock should be your main filtration. In my opinion, canisters are useless. Although they provide more space for beneficial bacteria to grow, they cancel themselves out by trapping organics in the layers that would be skimmed out. This creates more nitrates than you would have without them, so in the end, they pretty much cancel themselves out.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a seahare is more of a rental fish(slug thing). i have a fish store that sells one for cheap and then people take it back for credit and then the next person buys it. you buy it takes care of your algae problem then you take it back or else it will starve in your tank

10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

yeah we called mine cow lol cause it ate like a cow

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

That's a huge bio load. How big is the tank?

Sea Hairs are very stupid and I've lost all of them to powerheads or closed loop intakes

J

12. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

i had a bit of a hair algae outbreak and added a lettuce nudibranch. Its is doing a good job eating the unwanted algae and there is no danger of it inking. Although just as jason mentioned about seahares being notorious for getting stuck in filter/pump/powerhead intakes...lettuce nudibraches have the same reputation. So its just another option if you are looking for some animal that will help keep the problem in line while you search for the real cause.