what filtration for 29g reef tank?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by customdrum, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. customdrum

customdrum Plankton

Im a newbie when it comes to sw tanks and need some imput on filtration for a 29g reef tank. i currently have a 20g high tank with a hob ac 50 filter and powerhead, only been setup for 3 months but everthing is doing good so far, i want to move this tank into a 29g soon and want to know what typw of filtration, skimmer, filter i need for it.
    i have done alot of research but still want to hear some opinions on what i should do for filters. im thinking of getting a remora aquac hob skimmer for the tank but not sure what other filtration i should use on the tank.
    i dont want to do a sump really but may have to go that route in the end lol.
    what do you use on your 30-40g reef tank for filtration?
    and do you use carbon or purigen?
    any help is great as i need all i can get. want to get the skimmer and what ever i need for the tank very soon. thanks

2. Click Here!

3. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

i have a 20 gallon refugium with a 115 gallon rated skimmer i have it set so it skims very dry.

4. customdrum

customdrum Plankton

is the refugium better than a sump for a smaller tank like the 29g?

i can get a 12g sump and overflow box for cheap but the box has a disadvantage
    only has 1 baffle so it will trap bubbles without another baffle , it measures 16" tall 10" wide and 16" long looks more like a wet/dry filter really heres a pick. tell me what you guys think about this on the 29g tank

since its so small i can use a hob skimmer on the sump or tank, i have a tall diy hood so i dont mind the skimmer hanging on the tank.

heres a pick of the sump

[​IMG]

overflow Box with single wide U shape molded transfer tube and double line outlets with Flexible drain hoses, uses slide air tube to prevent gurgling noise and to adjust water level.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. slocal

slocal Doot!

I run all HOB stuff on my current 29g. I love my AquaC Remora. Check my sig for equipment details.

The 80g I'm building right now will have a sump though.

6. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

well its what you choose pretty much. i just chose it cause i am gonna get a mandarin so the refugium will host alot of copepods for it.

1 person likes this.
  7. slocal

slocal Doot!

Yeah, that does make it more of a specialty item. K+ for being responsible and making sure the mandarin can eat

8. Click Here!

9. customdrum

customdrum Plankton

if i do any fish it will only be 2-3 small fish or ill do something like a starry blenny and the rest will be cleanup crew so no real bio load at all in the tank,
    i was told a good skimmer would be fine without a sumo but what other filtration would i need to do? i have ac50 filters but i think there not good enough for the 29g lol

10. customdrum

customdrum Plankton

i can also get a tidepool 1 sump, is this better or worse than the sump shown above?

11. customdrum

customdrum Plankton

i can also get a tidepool 1 sump for a , is this better or worse than the sump shown above?

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

Well any time you add more water to a tank, you decrease the bioload on the system. I run a HOB filter as well (HOT Magnum 250). I just run carbon through it for water clarity. The big factor for my tank is a good skimmer and plenty of live rock for filtration.

We have zero nitrates with a full CUC and four fish and a shrimp.