Tank Cycle

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by 2k2f4i, Sep 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2k2f4i

2k2f4i Astrea Snail

Started my tank on Saturday (34 Gallon Solana) and mixed up saltwater. It is @ 1.22, I heard 1.26 is what it should be at. Sunday I added base rock (26lbs) and live rock (10lbs). I used 20lbs of live sand. I have 4 questions

1. Is 20lbs of live sand enough? I heard that it should be 1-2 inches, it is like 1/2 inch to 1 inch.

2. For the salinity of the water, should I gradually add more salt to get it to 1.26, or just empty some water out of the aquarium, mix in more salt into that and dump that back into the aquarium?

3. Since I used a mixture of live and base rock what is the cycle like? Do I need to buy dead shrimp or damsels now to cycle the tank?

4. I got the aquarium used so it was missing bioballs etc. I was able to order some material online. Currently I am running charcoal bags, a filter pad, and filter floss in the middle. I am waiting for my bioballs to come in, if I add them later I guess it will force the tank to cycle again?

Thanks so much!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi,

Solona nice tank, looking forward to pictures.

Most people remove the bio-balls, they can become nitrate traps.

Personally I like a 1-1 1/2 sand bed but it really is a personal prefrence, for now I would just go with the 1 inch, unless you want a deep sand bed then it best to add all the sand at once.

You do not need to add any type of decaying organic matter to intiate the cycle. I never add anything to a cycle but live rock. And never fish.

To raise the salinity to 1.026 I would just let water evaporate off for a few days.

Good luck

4. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

1. It depends on how porous the rock is. But ideally for a reef it should 1-2 pounds per gallon because that live rock is going to be part of your filtration.
    2. If there is no fish you can add more salt to raise your salt level to 1.023-1.026. I would go to 1.023-1.024 to give you more room for errors.
    3. Nothing, now you have to monitor your water. You know your cycle will be done when you nitrates, 0 ammonia/nitrite. After the cycle I suggest you do a 50% water change.
    4. Is it a sump? bioballs produce nitrates if there not cleaned often. But no, it will not force a cycle again.

5. 2k2f4i

2k2f4i Astrea Snail

Thanks for the quick replies!
    I will get another 10lb bag of live sand tonight I think.

For the bioballs, maybe no bioballs is the way to go then. For filtration, if I setup a refugium with chaeto and some LR rubble, should that be done now or after the tank has cycled?

Thanks again for all the help! Will post pics after this next bag of sand has settled :)

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

You can def put the rock rubble in your sump now.

I'll let others advise on the Cheeto - i would personally wait - let the bacterial colonies work by themselves without any help removing/converting nutrients.

7. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

To be sure, you meant 1.022, 1.026 and not 1.22 and 1.26 right? Just checking.

8. Click Here!

9. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

IMO: Lose the filter pads, get some live rock and a skimmer.

10. 2k2f4i

2k2f4i Astrea Snail

"To be sure, you meant 1.022, 1.026 and not 1.22 and 1.26 right? Just checking."

Yes,
    Sorry I left the hydrometer at home and forgot there was a 0 in between.

"You can def put the rock rubble in your sump now."

Cool thanks!

"IMO: Lose the filter pads, get some live rock and a skimmer."

I have the stock protein skimmer that came with the tank running. By live rock you mean for the refugium right? I have LR in the tank already.

Thanks again for all the replies!

11. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

Nope, that's good. Don't need LR in fuge. Once it breaks in, some chaeto macroalgae would be a good idea though.;D

12. 2k2f4i

2k2f4i Astrea Snail

Progress so far

Crappy pics from my blackberry, I will get more sand tonight. Thanks again for all the help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]