suggestions for more crabs

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by randy210, Nov 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. randy210

randy210 Plankton

I am wanting to get some more crabs right now I only have 5 blue leg hermits, I was wondering what other crabs can I add and how many crabs I have a 12 gallon tank. Any suggestions thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I would look at some snails, they will help keep the sides clean. Nausser snails are good for cleaning your sand bed. I always try to stick to 1 cleaner per gallon.

4. randy210

randy210 Plankton

Snails are on my list also, but are you saying I have enough crabs? Also what about starfish are they easy to keep and what kind? My tank will be a fish and reef tank when said and done.

5. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I should re-word as minimum. Crabs are issue for discussion as a lot of people don't like them in there tank. I only added them recently as i am having Hair alagae problem and all they ate were my snails.

Not sure about Starfish, no experience with them. Had one Sand Shifting but they are to large for your tank.

6. randy210

randy210 Plankton

I was thinking of getting a few red scarlet hermits, a brittle star and some snails, I hope the blue hermits and the red ones get along also dont know much about this brittle star. Any help thanks

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

i have a couple of blue hermits and 4 days ago added 10 scarlet hermits. no problem... they dont seem to make the difference between each other.

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. randy210

randy210 Plankton

Cool, I think I am going to pick some up tonight? Anyone have any luck with starfish in a small tank?

10. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

My wife has a banded serpent star in her 10 gallon. As long as you feed it there should be no problem. I have a brittle star and 2 banded serpent stars in a 20 gallon reef and coral tank. The brittle stars mostly hang out under rocks and catch food with their arms as it goes by. I haven't seen it come out from under that rock in about 2 months. But, it has no problem snagging food. ;D
    Jim

11. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Will a big scarlet crab eat small Nausser snails?!

12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have 5 big scarlett red leg hermits and they dont harm anyone. Most of the time they just hang out in 1 area and munch on the algea and stuff. They dont even flinch when frozen food id droped in. All my other crabs and my large brittle star go nuts at feeding time. The red ones dont even wake from there nap. I have green hermits, Blue legged hermits and red legged scarlets and they all get along and havent lost a snail yet. My brittle star is really huge. Heres a pic.

Look at my avatar. Thats one of my red scarlets

Jay

Attached Files: