Starting first reef tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by verbal, Nov 4, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member, but I must admit I've been visiting this site for a while now.

My girlfriend and I are just starting our first reef tank.
    Here it is:

72 gallon AGA Bowfront
    20L gallon sump
    CPR 600gph overflow
    Turboflotor 1000 Multi
    2x175W heaters
    ViaAqua 3600 water pump
    Lifegard Custom flow water system
    Aquatic Reef Systems RO/DI 100gpd
    PC 2x96 (planning on 4x96 once cycled)

So far all is well. I filled the system with freshwater first, corrected some minor plumbing issues, and yesterday filled it with our first batch of RO/DI and salt.

We'll be ordering "The Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater (complete package of live rock, live sand, and detritivores/algae eaters/sand sifters). I've heard good things about their live rock. A couple of reservations though: they ship the live rock in two shipments, recommending that you cycle the tank with the first half, then add the rest of the rock and the inverts; the rock is apparently very dense as well. Anyway, I'll let you know.

Future hopes include lots of softies (we like these the most), assorted inverts, and of course, a blenny.

Verbal

PS: Thanks for all the help you've already given beginners like me through this forum.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Congrats and welcome! Sounds like you've done a great job researching! Let us know if we can be of any help. Good Luck!

4. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

welcome two 3reef. there cant be a better forum. sounds like u have a nice setup in mind! sen us pics of that aquarium. Thanx Joe

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

[glow=green, 2, 300]HELLO N WELCOME[/glow]

ive heard about tampa bay its supposed to be really critter loaded plus its cultured live rock

since they ship there rock in 2 shipments and you cycle the tank with the first shipment. just to be on the safe side i would put the 2nd in and keep an eye on the water before adding anything. because with it being shipped you still get die off especially if there are sponges. they can cause a ammonia spike even in a cycled tank. get all your rock set and redy then make your first purchase when amm and nitrites are at 0. if you get your 2nd shipment it might be a good idea to scrape dead sponges and a few others that may be on there to minimize any ammonia spikes, i did this with my shipped rock and dont be afraid of doing it becuase it will eventually all grow back. infact everything i scrapped off i think grew back 3 times fold those critters are tougher than you would think

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Be careful with florida lice rock, years ago it was good stuff. But lately more and more it is looking like chunks of concrete. Cuz that's what is! TBS has had a good rep so it could be worth the risk. generally I order a small piece usually about 10-15 pounds to see what it looks like.