So new, I don't even have a salt tank yet! I've got Qs!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by secuono, Feb 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. secuono

secuono Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So, my BF is always looking longingly at the fish in the salt section. I was wondering what I would have to do to have a small salt tank. Reading random sites don't really help. With freshwater, I just jumped in and lost no fish, ^.^.
    Of course, now I am stuck with the Goldfish I cycled with. Which is ok, since I fell in love with them and now have 5 and planing a pond soon!

Onward to the questions!
    Do I need special filters? Can I use HOB filters for a salt tank? I have a few extras and was wondering if I could use them, but cleaned out and new media?
    How much salt do I add to a new tank? Do some fish need more salt? I know that sounds weird, but I don't know the answer. Lol. When doing water changes, do I have to be exact with the amount of salt added to the new water?
    Do the fish need a reef or is that optional?
    And what is with almost all salt tanks and that ugly white/gray mess growing all over everything?!? Is that controllable?

Uhm, I think that's it for now, thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

Keep in mind that the bigger the better when learning how to keep a saltwater tank. I don't know how "small" you are thinking, but I've read/heard many say it's quite challenging for someone new to saltwater aquariums to keep small tanks in check.

I personally started with a 70G and am very glad that I did!

Just a thought for ya....

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Secuono
    welcome to the serious addiction that some of us in denial still refer to as a hobby

HOB filters- yes you can use them, but they are not always required

salt - you need to get something to measure the salinity (how much salt is in water) best is a refractometer - but a hydrometer if checked is also OK to start with ( if you do move on to corals - then a refractometer is a smart investment)

reef - some fish will be happier in a reef type tank , some fish would prefer more swimming space and less rockwork - so it depends on the fish

the ugly white grey mess - My tank seems to lack this? if you find out what it is please tell me so I can ensure I continue to avoid it LOL

my answers should lead to questions? hopefully. thats the best way to learn IMO

Steve

5. secuono

I don't want a reef, so..lol.
    I think its calcium residue/deposits. Maybe coral stuff also.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

you can do a saltwater only with live rock at first. until you upgrade to good reef lighting, skimmer, etc.. then you can start stocking up on corals, test kits, chemicals, etc.. I wouldnt go any smaller than a 55g.. some 30g biocubes are kool, because they come with alot of the stuff u need in the box to get started.. be ready to spend some serious cash if you go reef route.. saltwater fish only isnt as bad though.. standard lighting and filtration are fine..

7. secuono

Again...I Do Not Want A Reef
    just a no

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

well you can have a FOWLR - fish only but with rockwork that becomes the basis of your filtration system ( Google Berlin system)

summary - about 1.5lb - 2lb depeding on how porous the rock is per gallon of water
    combined with good water movement is the basis of the biological filtration
    bacteria colonises the rock , the nutrient loaded water is bought to the rock thanks to the water movement and the bacteria break down the nutrients ( nitrogen cycle)

or you could go with a HOB filter and have biological media in there, like sintered glass rings or other large surface area media that provides a good home for bacteria of different species ( different species are required to complete the nitrogen cycle)

if you decide on what fish species you would like to keep, that often indicates
    which particular manner of keeping them is the best for you

Steve

10. secuono

...Technically you can do that in freshwater too then, no? I mean, you can have the porous rocks in the filters, since you wouldn't have fast water in most fresh tanks. Then you have a ton of plants which also lowers levels and keeps things neat.
    Salt has rocks, anything else that helps clean the water?
    W/o the filters, you have to siphon the muck out yourself, no?
    Or do only freshwater need carbon in their filters...?
    Are there any plants for salt water...?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  11. steve wright

freshwater set ups , such as the ones for Rift valley Chiclids could be run on similar principles , but with freshwater bio loads are normally higher - more fish = more waste

a good quality skimmer on a reef tank is a valuable asset in most peoples experience - these things can remove waste before it has a chance to burden your bacteria

reactors for carbon and GFO ( a phosphate removing/ absorbing media)
    are other ways reef keepers maintain water quality

Carbon is great for saltwater

salt water - many people utilise plants - but they are called Macro Algaes
    these are normally kept in a fuge - refugium under/ over or alongside the main tank - typical algaes used are Cheato, Caulerpa, Halimeda, mangroves and probably loads of others I cant recall right now
    these consume nitrates and thus help with the final part of the nitrogen cycle

hope the above helps

Steve

12. secuono

...salt tanks dont sound fun or pretty at all now...
    Guess if he wants a salt tank, he will have to get it and not me.