shrimp cycling question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by frogman5, Dec 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. frogman5

frogman5 Astrea Snail

alright i did the shrimp cycling method and i let the shrimp sit in the tank for about 5 days and when i tested the ammonia it was very high so i took it out and i think i was supposed to do that correct or was i suppposed to leave it in there longer...but if that is right should i just wait till my ammonia is down to zero and then it is cycled correct

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

You got 'er. I've never used this method, but as long as you had a substantial ammonia spike the you should be good to go once all you ammonia and nitrites are gone.

4. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

that's the reason for using the shrimp, it will break down and cause the ammonia spike - this will help spurt growth of other types which will break your ammonia down to zero. Once you hit zero - your all set!

Welcome to tank-cycle!

-fritts

5. frogman5

frogman5 Astrea Snail

also do u think it could have rot in that short of a time because another person on another forum tried to tell me that there is no way that there have been that much ammonia in that short of a time but i have tested 3 times and the ammonia has been way off the charts

6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You are doing good, everything is on schedule! Now wait a good 2-3 months to let the tank cycle then start slowly adding stuff!

7. frogman5

frogman5 Astrea Snail

so the shrimp thing is good...it was all covered in a gross white cloud and some gooey stuff so im thinking it was rotting and the ammonia was very high

thanks for all ur help tho