salt waterfish.com reef package

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mirosh, Nov 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Hello All,

I am almost finished cycling (after that long process many of you may remember), and have come to the conclusion that I should get some inverts before getting fish!  I was just confused about what to get.  I have a 35 gallon and was looking at the 20-55 gallon reef package at salt waterfish.com at http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...=4&category_search=5&root_parent_id=4.  I was having doubts, simply because that seems like it may be a big bio-load and I want to make sure they arent going to starve to death...but let me know what you think!

OK - I have no idea why the "**" is being inserted in place of my "wa" in saltwaterfish.com, but you get the idea.

The package consists of

10 scarlet hermits
    10 blue legs
    20 turbos
    5 nasssarius
    2 brittle stars
    1 coral banded shrimp
    3 emerald crabs

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Click Here!

3. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

ANYBODY OUT THERE????

Is this too much bio-load and/or too much for my current setup to support.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Different People = Different Opinions :eek:
    http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/package_chart.html
    This guy thinks that 1 star fish, 70 hermit crabs, and 18 snails is what you need along with live rock, sand etc. But I don't think they advocate putting them all in at the same time. Maybe half of them then wait a month and then the other half.
    If you're afraid they will go hungry you can always feed them. I throw my hermits a shrimp pellet every now and then and my starfish get some meaty foods when I feed my corals their weekly frozen gourmet food ;D

5. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Thats where my problem comes in...what am I supposed to do with the others. If I were to order them online, what would I do with the other half of them until I could place them into my tank a month later???

6. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

I don't think most of those even count as boi-load. I've read a few times the crabs and snails don't get counted when you add up your bio-load for your tank size.

any one of you ex-perienced people think thats right??

:)

Scoffer

7. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I have order from Saltwaterfish.com and was very Impressed. Quick delivery, good packaging.

Do you have algae to feed that main? If not you will have to do some suplement feeding, especially the star fish. One problem is they have a tendency to be nocturnal,i rarely see mine.

8. Click Here!

9. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I have a fair amount of algea from the whole process of cycling (the one blue-legged I have in there now just isnt cutting it...HAHAHA). But yeah, I wouldnt be opposed to supplemental feeding. I have some frozen mysis and some freeze dried formula two. Anything else I should be looking at should I need to do some supplemental feeding?

Thanks all,
    Mike

10. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I wouldn't worry about the bio-load. What I would do is buy some dried seaweed and rubberband a piece to a small rock. The critters will graze on this at night.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I'd avoid the brittle starfish, emerald crab, and coral banded shrimp. All of those will most likely turn into opportunistic feeders as they mature and that can be expensive if they munch your livestock.

12. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

What livestock would they be munching? Has anyone had problems with this???

Dried seaweed sounds like a good idea...LFS???

Thanks,
    Mike