A reef aquarium for someone on the go

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by crutkas, Jun 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

I currently have an apartment in Chicagoand am moving to another one in a month (figuring Wrigleville). My older brother had a small reef tank and I actually view it as a living TV. So naturally, I want one too ... and I want to trump his tank.

I've been reading up for the past few months and decided on pretty much what I'd perfer to buy. I've educated myself as well I think I can without actually spending any money. I was thinking about a 75 gallon tank with a built in overflow. I was going to use about 3 inches of live sand (80 lbs, rights?). Also I was thinking about having a sump using live rock instead of a wet/dry filter since it sounds like wet / dry are too good at their jobs (berlin style, correct?). Would a newbie have better luck with a wet/dry or is a berlin a better method? For live rock, I was looking at Fiji and Tonga branches. Since I'm starting a new system, I can get them cured and just pop them in the tank and let it cycle without much needed effort, right? What are the basic equipment I'd need to get started and what would be the best with what I'm looking for (Below is what I'm looking for). Home built sumps or prebuilt? If homebuilt, where can I find some good information with lots of pictures to build it?

Once again, the issue is the ability to move every yearish for atleast 2 years.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=206 is something I was basing what I want on. I dislike how some of the coral looks so I was going to be picky on what I buy. Also I think it looks too crowded. I was thinking about 1/3 open area, 2/3 reef. Does this work well? I want movement and stuff that is visually bright or has movement to it (AKA interesting to look at). Pumping Xenia and Hawaii Feather Dusters are examples of what I was thinking of.

For fish, I was thinking of pretty much what they listed on the live aquaria site.

Also I've heard mixed reports of anemones in a tank with coral. I would love to have a clown fish in an anemone since that just screams neat.

Yet another question, what do people think of the horseshoe crap to help stir up the sand bed. Is that a good idea? I've also read mixed on them. How fast do they grow and are they worth the money for the benfit they'd add. (Gobies do the same thing, I'm aware of that)

I understand there are a TON of questions here but thanks for any help I can get.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

My advice, considering the want to move every year, would be to establish a fish only with live rock tank ( FOWLR ).

John

4. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

Not so much I "want" to move, it is the fact I just graduated college and not wanting to "settle down" and get a house quite yet. Moving is not a fun thing, don't know, I might find a nice apartment and stay for a few years. All depends on what job I land as a programmer and where it is located.

I want something that looks cool as cliché as that sounds. I find the inverts and some coral (Xenias) to be more interesting than the fish.

Watching my brother's tank is like the "Where's Waldo" books. Everywhere you look there is something moving.

Plus anywhere I move would be local so figure 10 minutes car ride to the next place.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Having just moved myself, I do understand :)  The thing is, if you consider moving furniture is a pain, just wait until you have to move an fully established reef tank.  The process of tearing it down, re-establishing a new tank ( cycled ) is not something that can be done quickly or easily.

That was the reason I suggested a fish only tank for the short term.

John

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

In my 20's I lived in Chicago and moved quite a bit. I just had a 30 long back then.

John is right, if you know you are going to move, whether you want to or not, a 75 is pretty big. It's a love / hate thing though and it sounds like you really dig reef tanks so I'd bet you'd put up with the move if you are set on it.

That said, if I were you, I'd go with something half that size, like this Oceanic 37 cube tank I've been looking at. There are many reasons I am looking at it that could apply to you. First of all, it's small enough that you could pick up the empty tank and put it in your car yourself. You can't do that with a 75. I have an empty one of those and it's heavy. Also a 75 won't fit in a normal car unless you have a SUV. The 37 won't cost nearly as much to stock with corals and rock and hardware, especially lights.

Also if you go reef with a 75, I mean really go all the way, you will pay a lot for good lights and just more in general for everything. A year may pass really quick while you are learning and buying and once it's looking really nice, you might have to break it down.

I realize a 75 would be more stable, but if you automate evap replacement like I have with my 20 hex it's not too bad unless you overdose on some additive. I spent quite a bit here, but that's because I don't have a sump on this tank. If I had, I would probably just get a $15 kent marine float switch. I had one before that didn't give me any headaches.

I don't get the rock in the sump thing. I'd rather have the rock in the tank and room in the sump for hardware like a good skimmer. If you have sand, rock, good skimmer and good lights, you are set.

So I'd get a smaller tank, get your feet wet, and when you get the hang of it and have a job that you don't think you'll bail on right away, then you can always upgrade to the 75 or larger.

No one's going to bash you if you go with the 75, just a little fair warning. ;) :)

Thanks for joining!

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Matt

7. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

Yeah, I suppose a smaller starter tank would be a wiser choice. Just figured if I'm going to spend the money, might as well do it right the first time.

With a smaller tank, how can I pull it off with as little stuff hanging on the tank as possible? Can I still use an overflow / sump (or wet/dry)?

8. Click Here!

9. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

Why don't you think about a cube tank like Matt. If you get the stand for it, there should be enough room for a small tank.Talk to Matt and see what he says, he won't steer you wrong. ;)

phil

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Not on purpose anyway! ;D

[quote author=crutkas link=board=Newbie;num=1088557163;start=0#5 date=07/01/04 at 08:25:05]
    With a smaller tank, how can I pull it off with as little stuff hanging on the tank as possible?  Can I still use an overflow / sump (or wet/dry)?[/quote]

You mean you don't want it to look like my 20 hex does now? ;D

Yeah, that's the key, you need to get to a big enough one that you can fit a tank in there for the sump. That is why I was looking at the 37 not the 30 cube. You would need some custom jobber for the 30, but the 37 can fit a 10 gallon tank in in the stand for a sump.

I hear ya about the do it right first thing, your call. You can still do it right but just do it smaller, but I understand. If you have friends to help move, it wouldn't be that bad. ;)

Nice avatar! Molson, is that Canadian? It's Canada Day! [smiley=biglaugh.gif]

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I guess another point is that out of all the larger purchases you make the actual tank is often the cheapest item.

If you get all the other equipment ( pumps, skimmer, other filters, heaters, etc ) with specs for the larger tank, then you can always just replace the tank at a later stage.

John

12. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

So basically I can buy a lot of the parts for a larger tank, just tweak the power back since I have a smaller tank.

I did a quick google search but couldn't find any 37 cube tanks. Only could find the 30 gallon ones