porc puffer and CUC

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by amdninjaboy, Apr 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amdninjaboy

amdninjaboy Astrea Snail

Just wondering what inverts may be somewhat safe with a porc puffer. My LFS guy suggested conch snails. If I keep the puffer well fed will he be less likely to go after the inverts(snails, red or blue leg hermits). Im running a DSB and need something to stir up the sand bed.. I heard that nassarius snails are great for the sendbed but assume 'Spike' will eat those.. Maybe a starfish of some type? sand stirring, red or orange linkia??(sp?).. All sugestions are welcomed.

Shane.

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

tank size? a conch is a good sand stirrer too. why not a goby?

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

a porcupine will eat any and all inverts you put in the tank. They will even figure out way to knock an urchin off and eat it from the bottom up. My mom has been able to keep a sand sifting star with her porcupine, but I have warned her that it is only a matter of time before it eats it.

The problem with puffers is their ability to puff water and uncover or knock over any inverts in the system. With deep sand bed, it might be worth while to put some nassarius in there with the knowledge that you will probably have to replace them occasionally. On the plus side the snails will keep the fish's beak trimmed down

5. amdninjaboy

amdninjaboy Astrea Snail

The tank is a 90 gal.. Ya I thought if I have to add a few nassarius every 6 months or so it would save buying half shell clams and the like to help his teeth thing.. I will check into the sand sifting star, maybe that is the solution..

Shane.