Peppermint shrimp OK in new tank?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Birdlady, Sep 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi all! I am going to pick up about 30 pounds of LR from a tank being taken down this weekend. Should be little to no curing involved. This person also has a pair of peppermint shrimp.....I have new water, new sand (not live yet) and this will be the first LR...would it be OK to grab the shrimp?

If yes, would I need to feed them? and what exactly do they eat?

I would only be getting them because of the special circumstances here...not getting any of his fish or anything else....Opinions??

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I added a peppermint shrimp to my tank in week 3. He has done quite well and shows no sign of stress or injury. As for feeding the thing, mine just eats the leftover food that my fish don't get to. In fact, it often swims up to the surface with the fish to get to the food.

I'm still a newbie, so perhaps somebody else has a better answer.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks GraviT! As for fish food, I don't have any fish or anything for that matter....so.......I guess I should feed them. What do you feed the fish that they like? Formula One frozen? Mysis?

PS, Liked your Swing Pic! ;D

5. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Ahh, jeez...my fish eat better than I do!

I feed frozen formula 1 & 2, mysis, brine, plankton, formula 1 pellets, Nutrafin Max (slow sinking morsle food) as well as green and purple seaweed sheets (not all at the same time mind you). The peppermint shrimp seems to love all of it!

And thanks on the pic! Who says that a 30 something year old guy can't have fun on a swing? [smiley=biggrinbounce.gif]

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thank You!!! ;D