New Tank Questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Darclon, Apr 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Darclon

Darclon Plankton

Post #1

I recently received an aquarium as a gift from a family friend and I am tempted to try saltwater. The tank setup was originally configured for saltwater by the first owner (I don’t know the configuration, sorry) but has since gone through other variations/owners. I’m completely new to saltwater but have a little experience with freshwater tanks from my childhood.

The owner of the tank before me had set up the tank for freshwater until becoming bored and threw out/gave away (not sure) the saltwater equipment. The tank setup that I inherited (for free so I’m not complaining) is as follows:

• Glass Tank 30” Wide x 20” Tall x 12.25 Deep. An online aquarium volume calculator estimated this at ~30 gallons. The tank came with a nice stand/cabinet and wooden hood.
    • An old 30” Current Satellite Hood (I’m 98% sure) that is equipped with two 65w Dual Actinic Sunpaq lamps in the 460nm / 420nm ranges.
    • A light timing power strip
    • A Penguin 350 Biowheel HOB filter rated for 70 gallons.
    • 3 bags of Activ-Flora substrate

So if I want to get into saltwater, am I basically starting from scratch equipment-wise? If I did want to get started what are some of the basics that need to be added/modified/installed etc? Also I know this would be approximate at best, but what sort of financial investment am I looking at for a solid but basic setup?

I’ve been reading the newb articles and while very helpful have provided vast amounts of new material for me to digest and process. Although I’m better informed about some of the basics I’m also more confused in some ways than before.

I appreciate any help with this, so thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

Welcome to 3reef!

Yeah it looks like your basically starting with just a tank and a light. I wouldn't even bother using the filter given, but let me answer some questions for you...

"So if I want to get into saltwater, am I basically starting from scratch equipment-wise?"
    Answered kinda above, but yes besides the tank. You may need a new light if you plan to get corals but you can wait on this and other items for a bit.

"
    If I did want to get started what are some of the basics that need to be added/modified/installed etc?"
    Well I would start with a Fish Only With Live Rock(FOWLR) tank since they are easier to maintain and better for just starting out. So no corals, and if that light you have works well enough then that should be just fine for fish.

Other items you'll need to purchase:
    - Heater - 150W would be plenty for that size tank.
    - Powerheads - You'll need at least 2. I would recommend 2 koralia 2s, maybe 3 if you want additional flow.
    - Protein Skimmer - Not absolutely required but def. recommended. I have a Aqua C Remora hang of the bank skimmer and it is reasonably priced(140-150) and works great.
    - Buckets for doing water changes
    - More sand or gravel whatever you choose. Sand is better IMO. 30lbs would be enough.
    - Salt mix unless you buy your water pre-made which is expensive over time.
    - Some test kits to measure water quality, as well as a hydrometer or refractometer.
    - Either chemicals to neutralize tap water, OR a RO/DI filter for better water quality.
    probably more things im forgetting at the moment. Will add.

"Also I know this would be approximate at best, but what sort of financial investment am I looking at for a solid but basic setup?"

- Well that can vary A LOT. I would say a 30gal setup for everything including some fish, will cost you about $500 dollars to get everything mentioned above(minus the RO/DI filter), plus a new light if needed.

Good luck! Def post some questions about how to get started once you've figured out your purchases.

4. Darclon

Darclon Plankton

Smackrock,

Is the light suitable if it is fitted with a proper spectrum lamp? Or is just too weak for coral based on the wattage/light type? No big deal either way, just curious.

Also, do you have any recommendations for sump setups?

Thanks again.

5. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

That lighting will be fine for soft corals. I would just get new light blubs instead of using the ones already in the fixture. You could use and size tank that would fit in the bottom of your stand and use that as your sump.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Here, check out this I typed up a while ago. It should help you with some of the basics.

Newbie Guide

7. Darclon

Darclon Plankton

Thanks, I think I have a pretty good idea of where I stand now. It just helped having a little confirmation and info.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef! And congratulations on braving the dive into saltwater! I just have one ? for you...

Since it was a freshwater set up did the previous owner ever treat thier fish with copper based meds in it? If so it can't be used for corals or inverts. IMO you should find out before you spend a bunch on getting set up with this tank.