New Tank, Few Questions? (Pics Included)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by speedzonwheels, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. speedzonwheels

speedzonwheels Plankton

Alright, well im not new to the saltwater world, but im definently not the expert on it eiether. I owned a 40gallon before. Well i started up a 20 Gallon Octagon tank as I have an appartment and will probably move in a year, so I didn't want to have to move too much and I had this tank. So a few questions.

1. First, I started this tank about almost a week ago. I always begin my tanks with 2LBs of Live rock from store and the rest of my rock i let become live. Also always usually put in a clown fish as there extremly hardy and I love them. Also with my first tank before, clowns were the first in and the last to go, so my expierence that way as been great!

So I have a pair of True Pecular Clowns that are considered large size. Ones a smudge smaller than other, smaller one has been dominating it seems. Got them for an amazing price of 24 a piece and they were the only ones in the tank. There very healthy and seem to love the tank.

2. Questions, I have some whisper filters. I did have a 20 Whisper in the tank first, but i bumped up to my 40 whisper i had as my local store told me it would work better. I also have a Rio 180 (120GPH) power head with it. Is this enough filtration? Also I took the extension off the Whisper 40's tube as it almost touched the rock, should i put it back on? Also where is the best place for the powerhead? Should I have two? ( Look at the pics please)

3. I want to add invert's to the tank. Im thinking a Peppermint Shrimp? Any ideas? How many cleaners and what kind do you think? Also are they hardy enough that I could put them in now, or shall I wait till tanks fully cycled?

4. Also I want to make it more of a reef tank in the long run here. Any suggestions on lights?

5. Is this look like the correct amount of rock/live rock for this tank? I had some more in there, but yanked it as it was not live rock and looked like too much for it, didn't want to go over do it.

6. Also Im pretty much done adding fish correct? or Is safe to add one more once fully cycled? I don't want to over due it by any means and I know the clowns probably are all it can handle, but Im fine with that if thats how it is.

Thanks, and hope you can help!
    Conrad

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

You shouldnt of added any fish until it cycles completely, dont rush it.

4. speedzonwheels

speedzonwheels Plankton

Well thats the way I did it last time and the clown fish i had last for years and outlived every other fish I put in the tank. So I been hearing that I probably shouldn't have, but its too late now and it worked last time, so I did it this time before reading online

Thanks
    Conrad

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to 3reef!!!!!!! You may want to add a protein skimmer. I see that you have crushed coral.

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

just because your method works, does not mean its not cruel to the fish. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes can be very stressful to all fish. $24 fish are not cycling worthy either. This is when you buy a 5 dollar chromis or damsel. I would suggest cycling with live rock and a chunk of raw shrimp instead. I still think your gonna need some more live rock for that tank. Don't add anymore fish for quite some time. Let the cycle complete first. When the cycle completes you can add 2 more fish, tops. I started with a 20g hex tank just like you, very similar setup too. Just take it slow as you are already rushing the process. While the tank is cycling this is a great time to get some test kits (ammonia, nitrate, nitrate) so you will be able to consistently see what the water parameters are. Start a log or something.

if you want to turn that thing into a reef, you will need some new lighting. I would suggest a 18" 2x18w T5 light, cost about $50 online. Fits great and will penetrate enough to grow softies and zoos. This is what I used for my 20hex. But chill out until everything remains stable and you get the hang of things.

7. speedzonwheels

speedzonwheels Plankton

Well I don't plan on adding anything else to it, except maybe some more live rock if necessary to it as you stated. As I won't be adding anything else to the tank till its fully cycled. I will be purchasing a test kit for ammonia, nitrate, nitrate and stuff today. I do have a Ph test kit and that tested at 8.0 yesterday with the droplet kind. So that was good.

Also what do you think of the filtration and powerhead? Should I have another Powerhead in it? Another Rio 180?(120GPH). Just want whats best for it without blowing a ton of money on filtration as I don't believe it needs it, but what do you think?

With that type of light. Will I be needing a chiller? I don't mind getting one, just curious....

8. Click Here!

9. speedzonwheels

speedzonwheels Plankton

Oh and in the 2nd picture and 5th picture, you can see the filter tube in the middle top of it. So let me know on that if possible. If i should leave the extension on it, than I will. THanks!

10. speedzonwheels

speedzonwheels Plankton

Im looking at some protein skimmers also and it looks like they go onto a reg. filter? Is that correct?

like this one that is called a Taam Rio Nano Skimmer ??

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  11. speedzonwheels

speedzonwheels Plankton

So I bought another power head. This one has the media filter and carbon in it. Its rated for 90GPH. Tell Me what You think. Now I know I have plenty of water movement and everything. I also put the filter extension on the whisper back on.

12. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

a reef tank should have about 40-50x times turnover. So for a 20 gallon....800gph should do. I would recommend either (2) koralia 1s or (2) koralia 2s. The powerheads that you are buying are not sufficient for a reef tank. They will work for now, but look for some used koralias or something. Join a local reef club....there are always great deals. The extension should probably remain on as you have a tall tank so it needs to be sucking from the bottom. The skimmer you mentioned is a piece of crap. It is a hang on back skimmer filter. I would recommend getting a much better one. Should be able to spend around 70 bucks and get something decent. The cost of having a reef sucks. But when you get the nicer stuff, you'll avoid many headaches, annoyances, and spending extra money to upgrade. I would think about upgrading your 20hex to something bigger too. Your going to get annoyed with topping the water off daily too as I did. My salinity would swing from 1.025-1.028 throughout the day. Just some things to think about.