New to Saltwater, in need of advice/opinions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by generic_411, Mar 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. generic_411

generic_411 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello all. This is my first post, and I’ll go ahead and apologize for the length up front.

I have recently started my very first saltwater tank. I have many years of experience in freshwater, and I am looking forward to getting this new tank established.

What I have now is as follows:

2 pieces of VERY nice Fiji live rock
    30 pounds of Argonite (50/50 mix of fine and medium diameter)
    1 Koralia (sp?) I am not sure of the exact model or size type, but it is the next to smallest.
    Penguin 250 bio wheel hang on filter

The tank has been running for almost 4 days now. All tests are good, and I have had no crazy spikes or water troubles so far, though I know it’s still early.

Now for a little more background, the rock was fully cured and a part of a very active and well established reef system when I got it. I know the LFS owner very well, and he happily gave me 2 GREAT pieces from a display tank. It has some great algae growth and lots of life. It went from his tank straight to mine. The kicker is that within the two pieces, a lawnmower goby and emerald crab were hiding. The little guys came out after I place them in my tank (I’ll have some questions about these guys later).

Now to the newbie questions!

First off…how does this set-up look? I know I will be adding a skimmer later, but I didn’t want to get one until the tank was a little more established. I was told that with the rock being cured and very much alive, that I should have a much easier time cycling and establishing the tank, which is why he wanted to give me the rock from his established tank.

I have been thinking o adding another, smaller Koralia to add some movement. Should i do this?

I have also been considering adding a bag of live sand (about 10 – 20 lbs.) The question I have is how to safely and cleanly do this. The bags contain the sand and water. I know that you NEVER allow the water from a pet store bag to enter your system, but does this apply to the water in this bag? I have to assume it does, so what is the best way to get the sand in the tank without causing problems if it’s even possible.

Now to the little hitchhikers i got with the rock! Will they be ok? It's really early for adding something like a lawnmower goby IMO, but they both seem quite happy for now. They have been in the tank for about 36 hours.

I also have a blue damsel and a yellow tail damsel. I got them as my first fish for cycling. The LFS owner told me they would be fine since i was starting with well established rock. They have been in the tank for 48 hours or so. Any problems with this?

A lighting fixture coming to me this week. It’s a Odyssea 30" Power Compact Reef Aquarium Lighting 130W. I unfortunately purchased this light based off of a few reviews and some word of mouth that now I am second guessing. I have read further reviews that have said this fixture is not good at all. Can anyone confirm this? I do plan on adding lots of coral later on, and I also plan on adding to the lighting with a halide lamp or two, but I am concerned about this fixture. It is too late to cancel the order, but should I even try this one out?

Lastly what skimmer would be best? I am hoping to have a well populated reef system once it is all put together. I will be focusing on a lot of coral and ‘oddball’ fish. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help here folks!

2. Click Here!

3. generic_411

sorry for the font change at the bottome guys. gotta love cut and paste.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Can you give us some more info on your tank? What size is it? Dimensions? What are you planning on keeping? etc etc etc ;)
    As far as the lights go, I would see if you can cancel the order. PC's are not great for keeping corals, they are at the very bottom of the lighting types available. You would be limited to some of the easy sofeties, and would be pushing it with anything else. Look into T5's or metal halides.

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

well first off welcome and there is alot of things that you will be learning but it seems you know some stuff. first off how large is your tank? The HOB or hang on back filter may not be enough, most of us here have a sump/fuge system. I do run a canster but do not recomend unless it is your last option. You will start noticing a spike in your system soon because it is new water and hope that your livestock makes it even with the already established rock. If you add live sand then there will most defintitly be a spike. I have an odysea light fixture and so far has been fine but others will tell you it is a hit or miss with them. For a good skimmer I use the corallife 125 or 65 they have worked great for me but there are more expensive ones out there that do a even better job. I trust my lfs so I usualy dump there water with my water quite often. That is the only way I can move sponges without exposing them to air. Good luck and keep us posted and pics would be great

6. generic_411

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I left the tank size out. It's a 29 gallon, and it's a standard 30" long tank. I plan on keeping mostly smaller fish. I would like a couple of black clowns, some gobies, a shrimp or 2, and a few other inverts.

I do want quite a bit of coral and I figured that i would have to get better lighting eventually. My main concern with this light was the functionality and safety. I will be adding some other lamps and probably getting a better fixture all together eventually.

Also I was thinking of going without a canopy. I have heard mixed things about this. I have removed the plastic 'rim' on the top of the tank and it has a nice rimless look. I just leave the water level about an inch below the rim to avoid the possibility of spills and drips. Should I get a glass top or stay as is?

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Peace.......John.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, 29 gallon. Look at the......

**AquaC Remora Pro
    **Octopus BH-100F

10. generic_411

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to keep the blenny (sorry I think I said goby before) and the crab. It's a shame that I won't be able to. I was affraid that would be the case, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Do you have any advice on the light fixture? I will probably keep the Odyssea for the time being. I don't really have a choice at this point, and I had planned on an upgrade later anyway. What I was thinking about was adding a Halide lamp. If the Odyssea set-up fails, then I will simply replace it. would a clip on halide and the Odyssea fixture work well for now?

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

i would use the light till it didn't work no more. but defitinatly look into halides

12. generic_411

Cool. Any thoughts on having a cover? I am still thinking of just going without a cover and rimless. Suggestions anyone?