new biocube 29

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by BIOCUBE29, Aug 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BIOCUBE29

BIOCUBE29 Plankton

I just purchased a biocube 29. I don't know much about tanks yet, but I decided to try salt water. I have the tank up and running (just have the salt water in so far). I have some questions:

1. How are you supposed to read the "max" "min" water indicator on the side of the tank, it makes no sense to me.
    2. I have a ton of bubbling on the sides of the tank, is there something wrong?
    3. I purchased a zoo med power sweep 214 (reccommended by the store clerk) as a backup. I'm not quite sure how to instal on the biocube. Do I submerge in the chamber where the main pup is and rig some tubing to get flow into the tank?
    4. Are there any protein skimmers that are made for the biocube 29? Do I need a protein skimmer? Store clerk said I would not If I only did fish and live rock with no corals. With Corals, he said I should get one, but they don't sell them.

5. Anything else I need to get before I put in the sand and rock?

Thank you in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Welcome to 3REEF.

there is a ton of information out there for nano tanks. you should have a lot of fun with a 29G.

I'm not familiar with your tank so I'm not sure what the min/max level is.
    the bubble on the side of the tank is normal. It is likely just friction air and can be taped off or wiped off with your hand.
    I've never known a store (LFS) who has recommended a power sweep. the sweep action tends to fail quickly. I would take it back and get a maxijet. But either way you would just use the suction cups and stick it to the side of the tank. In the display area.
    I would recommend a skimmer but without doing some modifications to your tank I'm not sure how you would fit it in the filter chamber.

here are some online resources to nano tanks

Nano-Reef.com - The source for nano reef aquarium information
    Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Featured Aquarium: The Nano Tank of Oceans Ferevh
    Nanotank.com - Your Nano Reef Tank Information Source

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Ignore the min/max levels...I run the back 3 compartments FILLED :)

hehe, did I get you started on nanos with that forum omard ? :p

MDeths BC 14 - Nano-Reef.com Forums
    ^ My mods.

1 person likes this.
  6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Nice looking nano MDeth.

Wish I could put a clam in mine. But just not going to happen any time soon, until I upgrade lighting someday.

Will just have to be satisfied with one in main tank.

That is a great forum for nano keepers.

Have no doubt that you will keep up with it! :)

7. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

^ Just an update.

72W is bar far not enough (especially of PC) to keep ANY clam.

Also, ALL saltwater clams do very little filter feeding by the time we can buy them.
    Any major feeding that can actually sustain a clam happens in its first weeks/month of life.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Bubbles will dissipate in a few days. Please return that ZooMed POS! and get a Maxi or a Koralia (my fav) If it lasts 2 weeks you will be lucky, a month, go buy a lottery ticket quick! Originally bought 2 because I thought the Idea was cool, 1 lasted 2 days the other 10, returned 1ST one and replacement lasted 2 weeks. Now I running 2 Hydor Koralia Nano's in my 16.

Out of everything I have read most say a skimmer is optional with a tank that size. As long as you keep up with water changes you should not need one. I am running a 10, 16 and 20 all without skimmers but I do a 10% water change every week without fail.

But if you want one Oceanic has one that is made for the 14 nd 29 gallon Biocube it is made to fit into the rear chamber. I recommend you stay away from the Current USA Fusion Nano skimmer. Bought one, used it for about a month, and now it resides in a box of spare parts. All it did was put TONS of micro air bubbles into my tank. I could sell it on ebay but I can't bring myself to do that to even a stranger! I will say that the pump makes a great pump for use in my salt mixing bucket, moves that water great.

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>> As gazog said don't by a fission nano skimmer, their junk IMO....

11. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

hey and welcome. i too have a biocube 29. awesome tank and awesome look. you know what i mean, it doesnt look like a POS you buy from petsmart. the min max line are they so you know how much water is in the tank, when it gets below the min line air is sucked into the pump. you think you have bubbles now? not really a big deal if its over the max line. oceanic makes a skimmer for the biocube 14 and 29 they are around $40, and fit into the first chamber where the changable filter pack goes. i have had my tank up for almost a year and house soft corals. SOFT CORALS only. do your research on both the fish and corals before you buy. some corals require tons of light and will die for sure. i dont run a skimmer but do weakly water changes and dont over feed. goodluck. did you get the stand for it (oceanic)?

12. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

I do not have a clue about nanos, but Welcome to 3reef!