Need help on sump please

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jimmyward, Apr 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmyward

jimmyward Plankton

I just got a saltwater tank (used) that has a sump with 2 inlets wet/dry, bioball?
    filter that sets in the sump. The guy i bought it from said he didn't use that he ran the two lines from the return into one then attached a filter sock to the hose. He said that would give me room to run a protein skimmer on that side of the sump. My question is will just a filter sock work as well as the big filter system with bioballs? do i need more than a filter sock, protein skimmer and phosban reactor in my sump?

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

pictures would be best.. Tank, stand, and filter

Tank size, cabinet size, space under cabinet.. will you have the sump in the stand or are you going to run it external etc etc. Any and all details are good info

Bioballs are out..

99.9% people have a skimmer, I highly suggest having 1

Reactor can be lower on your list of needed equipment.. If you do not already have 1 you should look into ro/di unit.

4. jimmyward

jimmyward Plankton

It's a 90 gal tank stand with sump in the stand, i'm upgrading to this tank it has a center overflow. the reactor came with it. he said he removed the section of filter/bioball on the left side and just used the skimmer, filter sock ad reactor. I do have live sand and live rock in the main tank. I'm at work right now but i'll take pics tonight if that will help explain things

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

We will be waiting for the info and then you will get plenty of help from the people here.