My plan for 65 gallon Salwater tank- Suggestions pls

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by shanmugam, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shanmugam

shanmugam Plankton

Hi All
    I’m a newbie to marine aquarium. Currently I’m planning for a 65 gallon FOWLR...after some time I wish to upgrade it to reef. I have done a small study and have come up with the design of my aquarium and its components. Please pour in your suggestions on all aspects of design and livestock.

Display tank
    Tank size 48" X 18" X18"
    Lighting SUNSUN T5 HO Lighting Systems
    HFL 1200 : 4 x 39W T5HO's. Dimension : 200 x 60 x 1200 mm
    JEBO Internal Tri-Power Skimmer
    Liver rock 40 lbs(will add some more later)
    Live sand 20 lbs

Sump design

Sump tank size 32"X 15" X18"
    Height of the baffle 12"
    Return section size 12" X 15" X 12" approx 9 gallone
    Intake section size 8" X15" X 12" approx 7 gallon
    Baffles occupy approx 1"
    Refugium 11"X15" X 12" approx 9 gallon
    In refugium 6lbs rock and 6" deep sand bed and some macro algaes
    Below is the link to my sump design

My Sump Design - 3reef Photos

Fishes
    Maroon clown fish
    Black clown fish
    Pakistani butterfly fish
    Indian yellow tailed angel fish
    Yellow tailed damsel
    Small yellow tang

From your experience it would be great if you could help me on the following
    1. What are all the modifications required for the above specifications of display tank and sump?
    2. Will the fishes get along with my aquarium design?
    3. Is bubble trap required in the sump or can I avoid it?
    4. Will there be any problem in maintaining the optimum temperature of the tank if I close it with a hood? I reside in a place which has got average temperature between 20 °C (68.0 °F) and highest 45 °C (113 °F)

please pour in your suggestions...on all aspects ....design/components and livestocks..

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Just saw your post and noticed no one responded. I will attempt to help. Let's go one at a time.
    The Sump; I like the sump design. It should be adequate, no changes needed.

The Fish; This is one of those "wait and see" things if the fish are already in there. If not, I would limit the tank to only a couple clowns and make them as different a species as possible. The Maroon can get quite territorial and down right mean.

Bubble Trap; Do you mean for skimmer or the water coming from the display?

Tank Temp; This all depends on how much heat is given off prom power heads, return pump and lighting. Many of us (me included) use a fan of some sort in the canopy to blow across the water surface.

Any more questions? Tell me/us what you mean about the bubble trap.

4. shanmugam

shanmugam Plankton

Thanks a lot for your response.

Bubble trap - In the sump design there are few baffles after the skimmer section, which i felt is for trapping the bubbles. I felt that there is a high possibility of bubbles intruding in to the fuge(inturn in to the display tank) from the skimmer section, so i added those baffles to trap the bubbles..but is it really required?

few other questions that i have are,
    can i place the skimmer outside the sump, may be can i place it some where adjacent to the sump(but water to the skimmer will be from the sump and the outflow will also be directed to the sump)

I am planning for a 350 gph water filtration/rotation, is this enough for a FOWLR tank?
    and to maintain this flow rate what is the exact diameter of the pvc i require( to pull water from the display tank to the sump).

some day suppose i plan to upgrade to reef then should i replace the skimmer? and should i increase the flow rate (current 350 gph), if the flow rate is to be changed then i may have to replace my return pump also. Changing the components while upgrading to reef will hurt my pocket.

if i have to avoid this replacement cost what is the apt skimmer i need to purchase for this 65 gallon tank?

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

For a 65 gal. any quality skimmer rated for 90-125 will be appropriate.

6. shanmugam

shanmugam Plankton

Thank you.
    can u suggest me the flow rate for my tank please.

7. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I would stear clear from any thing jebo....not very well made and i have heard nothing but BAD BAD BAD things about them!!!

As for fish, you will not have much luck keeping a moron and black clown in such a small tank, if you want two clowns pick two of the same!

As far as flow, if you not getting corals two power heads place on oppisite sides of the tank will be fine!

Damsels can be bullys so if you want this fish make sure its the last one you add

This tank is also way to small for any tangs, i would highly highly suggest you DONT add a tang...they need at least a 4 foot tang and then thats to small for a normal size tang

8. Click Here!

9. shanmugam

shanmugam Plankton

hey hi thanks for your suggestions.
    I am having a 4 foot long display tank and approximately 2.5 foot long sump tank.
    So having morno or black clown or tang..will it be a problem?

10. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

A small tang will be fine for a while, they grow fast and produce a lot of waste! once it gets big you will want to trade it in for another fish or a smaller tang!