mini carpet anemone vs. yellow leather coral vs. ricordea

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jimmy_beaner, Mar 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

So, I saw a mini carpet anemone at the LFS yesterday and the guy said it was just about done growing (around 4" across). It was neatly tucked into some rock work and seemed rather happy. He also said it wouldn't host clownfish. We have a Biocube 29 and would like something that has a chance of hosting clownfish that we also like.

Through doing some research, I found some sources saying the mini-anemones are both "very peaceful" and "tank destroying machines". I'm really not sure which way to lean on it. If they were very peaceful, I wouldn't mind picking one up (even if they wouldn't host the clownfish). I don't want to risk it if they'll destroy what's in the tank.

Since I first saw this yellow leather coral at the LFS, I've really liked it. Now I completely understand that they get rather big and that I would have to frag it to keep it relatively small. I also like ricordea (and the gf, who is relatively picky about things, also really likes the green ricordea). Would it host a clownfish?

Suggestions please! We have the BioCube 29 with PC lighting, a pair of clownfish, fire shrimp, blastomussa merletti, zoas and a host of CUC. Eventually might like a mandarin if I can get another tank set up to raise pods.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I never had a problems with my maxi-mini anemones, they did not move around much and I think they are one of the nicest additions to smaller tanks.

I think your clowns have a much better chance of residing in leather coral though.

A leather will do much better long term under your PC lighting as will ricordia. I have not kept maxi-minis under PC lighting so I will not offer advice on how well they do or do not under that lighting type.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Fiji yellow leather corals are fairly difficult, much more so than most leather corals. I think the maxi-minis will be considerably more easy to care for. The Fijis seem to be very prone to infection and are toxic enough to crash a tank if they die. I've had this happen... They also come from very shallow water, and need intense lighting. I would not keep a Fiji under PCs. Other leathers sure, but these are sort of in their own class. A maxi-mini also needs a good amount of light, but I suspect it would do better.

5. jimmy_beaner

We're going to attempt to swing by the LFS in about an hour. I'll try to grab some pics and see what we could pick up this afternoon. My tank parameters have been very good since set up, no losses, no swings... most everything is set up to run automatically (except ATO and feeding). Definitely something to consider. I just want to give the clowns a chance with something that might host... and something I really enjoy.

Would I be able to find a male leather? From what I understand, they only get to 4"x4"x4"... that would fit perfectly in the tank.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I really don't think Fijis will tolerate clown hosting. Mine deteriorated within days just after moving it slightly. Other have also suggested that they are very intolerant of any disturbance. For the clowns, I would look into a green toadstool leather. I think this is a much better choice. The clowns probably won't host in a maxi-mini though.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Maybe consider a euphyllia like frogspawn or torch to host the clowns, but it is anyones guess what they will reside in. I agree with m2434, the Figi does much better under intense lighting.

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

I'll see what he has to offer. He has a frag tank or two and some other larger tanks of corals.

He has some of those, I'll ask.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Mine always seem to end up in the frogspawn LOL. Actually, for my current pair, the female are hosted by the frogspawn. The male was, but has decided he doesn't like it anymore, so he has moved to a nearby rock. At night the female gives up on the frogspawn and they both end up on the rock. Goofy fish.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have a mini maxi in my 16 gallon nano, they are great and dont move much. also if you get like a maroon or clarkii clown it will most likely host. those things are so deparate to host anything. i had two clarkiis hosting mine for the longest time

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I agree on the leather being easily agitated and not doing well if a clown host it. And I have one of them and another standard Spaghetti leather but my clowns (i have 3) have never even attempted to host either of them. I also have 3 MaxiMinis and 2 True Percula clowns in the same tank, they tried to host one right after I put them in the tank and the Maxi closed up tight every time they got close so they now leave them alone.

I would recommend a large Green mushrooms I have several that my clowns host. The mushrooms seem to thrive when they are in the, they get all puffy and about 2 inches larger than normal.

But make sure its these and not the Elephant Ear Mushrooms because they tend to eat anything that gets to close. There is an article right here on 3reef that talks about this and I know someone that lost a couple of fish to hers before she figured out what was happening

Hammer, torches and frog spawns seem to do well but sometimes the clowns agitate them and they close up, it seem like a crap shoot as to weather or not they will tolerate them or not.

Lastly a 29 gallon tank is not really a good home for a Anemone, mostly because they will outgrow a tank that small in a shot time because they get really large. I have a friend that has several RBT's and they are both almost 12 to 14 inches across. That would pretty much be the only thing you could have in that tank if they got that large.