high flow corals

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Oct 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I have an area in my tank that I can't seem to keep anything in because no matter what I do the flow is too high due to my filter. Does anyone have some suggestions for corals that like a stronger flow?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Try a colt coral or a LPS of some type of your liking.. Yellow polyps maybe ?

4. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

if the flow is too strong i don't know if i'd go with LPS. LPS tends to thrive in medium flow areas and "dirtier" (no skimmer) water for that matter....JMO. you could try a leather coral (might need to incorporate a carbon medium into your set-up) or zoanthids usually will tolerate any environment.

5. RCBruce

RCBruce Astrea Snail

10/4 on the zoo's. They like flow as long as you have plenty of light too.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Many Acropora's and Montipora's will do well with stronger water movement! However, your lighting may be a problem as these corals require pretty intense lighting, especially to capture the vibrant and true colors or these wonderful small polyp stonies!
    For soft corals, Colt, Kenyan, Xenia, Clavularia, Polyclavularia, and Anthelia. You may want to try a Gorgonian, a Sponge or Star polyps!