Hair algae in fuge only

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gkw, Apr 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, my tank has been setup for almost 3 months now and I had not have any algae outbreak/bloom like everyone else...just some brown thin film and green coralline algae on the front glass. I clean the glass like every 10 days or so.

But I just notice a few hair algae spot in few places (it's not much, in fact there is one hair in each spot) in my fuge. I am using a 100w fluoresent daylight bulb 5500k for my fuge.

Now, I was wondering if it's because it might be time for me to change the bulbs in my MT. I got the light fixture from my friend and he claims that the bulbs was used for about 4 months. The few corals I have are doing OK and coralline algae is taking off nicely. Are there any ways to tell if the bulbs needed to be changed?

Thanks!
    GKW

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well from what i know about the temp of lights (10,000k and such) the lower temp daylights make algae very happy. This is one other reason why im changing my 6500k to an 11000k because my bud used to have an 6500k and the algae went crazy, but when he changed it stoped :)

But...dont go out buying any bulbs untill some other people put their thoughts :)

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks for the info Bruce! I have heard the regular halogen bulb works too, but I like the fluoresent bulb better because of the power usage (23w for 100w bulb) and might make my chaeto happy too. :) Since the hair algae aren't that bad in the fuge (knock on wood), I will probably wait and see. Might get a sea urchin later on if the algae go out of control.

Thanks again!