Durso Standpipe Question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by medhatreefguy, Jan 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

I am in the process of starting a 110 Gal tank and after hours of research I had my tank drilled because of the horror stories associated with external overflows. I had it drilled for a 1 1/2" Bulkhead in a single corner overflow. I currently have a Lifereef HOB overflow on my RSM and it works quite well but I wanted to "do it right" on this build and go with the internal overflow. I have read that a simple drain in the overflow can cause annoying gurgling so the best setup is to install a Durso style standpipe. From what I can see the Durso works on the same principle as a syphon overflow, so once this Durso is installed what is the advantage of having the overflow located in the tank? I had the understanding that an internal overflow created head pressure and thereby increasing the flow. Aren't the benefits of the head pressure gone when a Durso is set up?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

want to eliminate gurgling? I made these and LOVE them!!!! Very easy to make too!
    Hofer Gurgle Buster

I did them with a full length of pvc going fromt he bulkhead to the water level. The only thing is when the coaralline gets onto them, they're just about impossible to adjust up or down, but you really don't need to adjust them after you do the initial install.

4. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

Looks interesting. My tank is 30" high, how tall should I make the standpipe (the website shows it installed in a HOB overflow)? It looks like it may restrict flow somewhat, my goal is 1200 GPH through the 1 1/2" drain, do you see any issues?

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I have no issues with mine what-so-ever. I haven't noticed any restriction either. I have had one chromis get sucked down into the sump, but it was so small. I put some "netting" that I cut from one of those shower scrubby things on a string, and wrapped the opening of the pipe with it, with a rubberband. That worked great.

height. Mine's about 28" tall. What I did was glued the pvc pipe to the fitting that screws into the bulkhead. Then, I took that whole piece and screwed it into the bulkhead(not tightly) and took the other end that I had made already and figured out how much I'd need to cut off. I drilled the holes in the standpipes about 2 inches from the top of the pipe. I hope this helps and I hope I didn't confuse you.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Just make sure the diameter of the standpipe is larger then the bulkhead. That is how it creates pressure for more flow with more water volume pushing on the bulkhead. It's like shoving water through a small hole. I would create the standpipe with one of these so you can adjust the water height in the OF box.

7. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

Excellent idea. I think this is the way I am going to go, it seems to be more efficient than the Durso style. Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You still put the T and Street L on the end but you use this piece as the leg of the standpipe so that you can adjust the height instead of cutting PVC to fit.