Chappys first real build! - NEW TANKS HERE!!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by chappy85, Oct 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

Thought it would be easier to lump all my questions in a single build thread as i go along. Have been reading through alot of build threads lately and think it helps noobs like me alot being able to follow from start to finish and learn what to expect before making mistakes.

started typing the long story but it bored the hell out of me around chapter 7, this is the shorter version...

i bought a 4ft tank a couple of years ago with the intention of getting a lionfish. it still has never had water in it. so after recently deciding i cant afford to build a harley, finally finishing the fish tank seemed a much better idea.
    the only person i know with fish tanks is my uncle, but theyre all fresh water so google has been my friend on this adventure. finding 3reef has been a massive help.
    unfortunately the more i read, the more i find to slow me down and this will probably be the slowest build in history, (i noticed reefbruh said something similar but had a very nice setup after about 3 months :) i guarantee that wont be happening here lol)

i also have a clownfish atm in what i think is a nano, but its probably got more algae than your average fuge :-[ he seems happy tho, at least i hope he is.

anyway heres what i've got so far
    • tank 48x12x18 (actually ditching it for an old one my uncle is giving me thats 48x18x18)
    • sump (custom built for the LFS, bro got it for me one xmas, so not my design)
    • skimmer (aquamedic turboflotor blue1000)
    • 44 lbs of reefbase substrate
    • 2x54w T5 light fitting
    • 44 lbs seachem reef salt
    • awesome stand that uncle just helped me build.
    and after reading alot, what i still need
    • refugium (will be a small custom tank)
    • plumbing and get tank drilled
    • more light! hoping another similar fitting will do to start with
    • hood to be made after i have said light
    • RO filter (wasnt planning on that, but now sold on the idea)
    • refractometer
    • reef test kit
    • heater
    • powerheads
    • lots of rock
    • a bunch of additives
    • uv filter? (considering skipping it to start with to save some money)
    • dosing pumps (not in a hurry tho)
    • chiller (expensive so probably wont get into corals for a little while)
    will try and get those things in that order and maybe get them all wet somewhere between powerheads and rock.
    -----------------------------------------
    so without further ado, here my first question for the thread and the reason i typed all this-

my sump got cracked in transit :(

[​IMG]

do you think it can be patched? or could i have the whole long side replaced without having to redo all the dividers?

didnt know if i should repost my other pics but if you look at my sump thread, the problem is the bottom corner of the prefilter section.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/filters-pumps-etc/opinions-my-sump-please-96749.html

hopefully noone fell asleep reading all that lol
    thanks

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It can seem daunting, especially when you putting it all down on paper. You could keep an eye out on craiglist for some of your supplies. Joinning a local reef club and be of great assistance as well, it's shocking how much coral and equipement you can get for free or very cheap.

Personally I would not trust the sump, nor would I attempt to patch it. Just not worth it, tanks for sumps can be had fairly cheaply. With the overall money you are going to invest into the system and live stock, you do want risk the huge problems that a leaking tank can cause. I think replacing the sump is in order.

Your off to a great start, and already have your hands wet with the nano. I am sure you will enjoy the build once it gets off the ground.

Good luck

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I too would ditch the sump, not worth the worry and potential leaks. If you intend to put your light into a DIY hood then buy retrofit kits. Fixtures are not meant to be installed inside of hoods.

You have done a great job in making a list and researching your needs.

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

6. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

he was mentioning that when you building your recent reef you sead it was going to take forever but in 3 months you had a killer setup going but if you were looking from the outside it can be a task that looks so daunting it could never be complete . witch if you look at it our reefs are never realy done are thay lol

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Oh okay. Thank you for the compliment. Well I couldn't wait to get it set up. I thought there were gonna be financial binds but i used existing resources that speed that process up. Now when it comes to stocking I definitely didn't do like I did before. I NOW put fish in my tank every two to three weeks after qt'ing them. I think thats the main point I was trying to get across.

8. Click Here!

9. chappy85

lol, sorry to single you out bruh, but what gt pointed out is where i was aiming with that. having a few things around already would make a massive difference. stocking seems like a neverending task, but man, i'd be happy with some water and rocks!

now the sump, as it was a gift from my bro, and from what i understand excessively expensive, i'd rather not ditch it completely. i do have a 3ft tank that would be a much better size, but still, i dont want it to look like he spent all that money for nothing. also, im in australia and i get the feeling that makes these things just that little bit harder lol.

plan A will be - see if i can get someone to replace that whole side and re-silicone all the baffles back in place. could make a wooden jig to hold everything in place to make it easier for them.
    plan B - maybe have all the baffles taken out and used in the 3ft tank, tho i have a feeling they'd be a touch too narrow and foul that plan.
    plan C - have the little shelf like bit taken out, have a patch siliconed over to cover the whole crack like reinforcement in that one corner. this sounds like a bad idea, but looking at the crack i think it would work.

custom stand just needs sealing in a few more places and should be able to post some pics.

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

It is perfectly ok. You have a plan and that is very, very good. Keep up the good work.

11. chappy85

still havent finished the stand, but thought i'd post some progress pics and an update.

started by tearing apart the old stand. in the end, it would have been easier and cheaper to have started from scratch lol. also the dog was no help.
    [​IMG]

my uncle really knew what he was doing, had all the tools and did about 90% of the work. probably why everything worked out.
    [​IMG]

test fit of sump and stand for gravity fed refugium. questions about that are below lol.
    [​IMG]

finally at my place! took something like 4 sundays to get this much done.
    [​IMG]
    inside still needs sealing so i can put the doors and back on again. turned out alot better than i expected.

also took the sump to repaired today and am getting a 15"W x 9"L x 15"H refugium tank made by the same place ;D

am thinking about running a 6" DSB in the fuge, but theres is also a section in my sump for about a 4" DSB. would it be a better to leave the one in the sump and have both or could take out the baffle to alow more room for coral rubble?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Good work. Beautiful stand. You're gong to all that works to have the inside get wet? I would have just painted the inside. What color stain did you use? I like it.