changing sand

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mkizla, Jun 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Alright hey 3reef mkizla here. I have a super super fine fine sand that likes to go everywhere once i change my power head direction to a bit bottom.
    Due to the sand storm, i been having it placed way to the top. Yup you guessed it, the bottom of the tank dosnt have much flow, so Im starting to build up cyano red algae. Except they are no slimey stuff, it just looks like the sand changed the color to red. Anyway I think my only solution is to change the sand bed.

In order to change the sand bed, how would the procedures work? Also
    What type of sand would you recommand during problems like me where sand flys everywhere if I place my powerhead a bit down.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I would leave the existing sand there and slowly add a slightly larger grain sand over top of it. You wont need alot, enough for maybe 1/4" layer to hold the fine sand in place under it.

4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

That sounds like a good idea, but what type of sand is larger grain sand?
    Sorry Im newbie if it comes to types of sands.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

6. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

If you're having cyano problems you may need to address some other issues before adding sand. That should be a last resort.