Bubbles??

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jim_Barry, Oct 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

Hi everyone...... I am new to the board !!

I have just set up my reef tank after being disassembled for the past 8 years. I have a 120 gallan tank, trickle filter, Berlin venturi skimmer and Little Giant 1,200 gph external pump.

My tank has 80 lbs of live rock and currently only a few fish a coral. Tank has been set up now for 3 weeks. The enviroment is stable, however I am getting a constant stream of small bubbles from my sump back into the tank. I have seen many tanks without bubbles and the viewing area is much clearer. I know that oxygen is important, but I would like to reduce the amount of bubbles returning to the tank. I turned off my protein skimmer for a short time to see if it made any difference and I still had the same amount of bubbles. Any advise on how to reduce the amount of bubbles returning to the tank??

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome from Calgary, stampede, eh?

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I would check a couple of things:
    Is all the firrings on your return line tight not sucking air from a loose fitting.
    Are there bubbles in your sump? If there are use a filter pad around the return pump intake.
    Is the return spout or nozzle under the surface or breaking the surface?