Bubble Issues with Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jbraas, Jan 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbraas

jbraas Plankton

Hello all - I am having some issues all of a sudden with my protein skimmer and was hoping for some insight.

I did do a search and saw modifications, and all kinds of other information. I was hoping with some pics I might be able to verify if this is just a common "start up" situation or something larger.

I have had this skimmer (a Coralife Super Slimmer 65) since around November or early December. It had been running fine and was collecting gunk as needed.

I had an outbreak of red slime algae and treated it with Chemiclean. Per their directions I turned off the skimmer for 48 hours while the chemiclean did its thing. I then did a 20% water change and started things up again.

Holy microbubbles all of a sudden! I took things of the tank to clean the skimmer up and try to make sure air was flowing properly. Hooked it back up, and still a large amount of bubbles.....

I can not recall if it was this bad when I first hooked the skimmer up. I also never had this problem when it was off for prior cleaning.

I though I would attach a couple pictures and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

holy micro bubbles bat man! ha-ha, i've had two coralife skimmers and both have produced micro bubbles everytime i shut it off and turn it on again but never like that. adding filter floss to the return box has helped me with minimize the bubbles but to be honest i've never seen micro bubbles like that, good luck.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Make sure you cut your return pipe so it has a good solid 1" above the bottom of return box! Look up coralife super skim mod! there are some cheap mod's you can do for like $10 that will help this, plus get that ugly return box out of your tank!

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid