Begginer SW Tank Set-UP

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Bigjoeybx, Feb 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

Hello everybody. I've been real quiet on this site just soaking up all the info. I've been in the process of turning my 55 FW into a SW FOWLR. I started on Feb 8th. Unfortunately I did the initial fill with tap. Didn't have an RO/DI at the time. Bought it 3 days later after some more research on the importance of it. I have about 155lbs of LS in there. 70lbs of aragonite at the bottom and 85lbs of LS from Fijiman. LOL I have 50lbs of base rock, 22lbs of Select Fiji Premium LR.

For cycling I put in a couple of dead jumbo shrimp. Started check parameters on the 11th. Ammo jumped way high, past 8.0. Took the shrimp out. Ammo started to drop, by the 18th my ammo was down to 1.0 with the nitrites on the rise. It also went past the 5.0 mark on the strip. So I just let nature take it's course. As of today, ammo 0 Nitrites 3.0 Nitrates 10-20 ppm. I'm very excited that it is almost finished.

Now the rock that I purchased from Liveaquria was nice looking peices. Looked very dry though. Wasn't what i was expecing. LOL But as of yet I still have not seen any critters wandering around or anything. Also in the last week or so the rock has started to turn certain shades of white in some places. Water doesn't smell but inside of some of the rock still stinks like hell. The first week was the worst.

Now I have been reading on more than setting up a tank. I'm learni9ng about diseases. To be honest it scares me. So I am now in the process of setting up my 20gal FW into a QT tank. I want the QT tank to be up and running as soon as possible, since my cycle is almost complete. I have an aquaclear filter I've been running with just the sponge and carbon since I set up the tank. I was thinking about using that to seed it with.

OK here are my questions
    1. Is my startup good?
    2. I have 2 penguins 1140 rated at 300gph I have a Koriala #4 coming in tomorrow 1,200 gph is that too much flow.
    3. Am I correct with the cycle almost being over or will the ammo rise again a little?
    4. Will not having a sump or refugium hurt? I might upgrade next year to a bigger size will def get a sump then.
    5. Being that I used tap water for my initial fill what will be the results of it? Soon as the tank finish curing I will do a 50% PWC, then a 10% weekly until that tap is gone.
    6. If i use a new batch of SW for the QT how long will it take to cycle when I will be using the seeded filter? I really don't want to use from the main tank being that it is still cycling itself and the tap water thing.
    7. For the QT tank can I use an airstone or two that I already have in there or is it necessary that I use A PH? Also the light that I have is attached to the plastic hood that was used for the FW fish. Do I need to remove this hood?

Well that should be it for now. But I will definitely have more questions. Let me know what yall think about the tank will re-arrange LR around once I start my PWC's. I think I also need to raise the pump on the skimmer also. My QT is th smaller tank of course. Can you see the hood? Will this suffice for 1 small fish at a time for 2-3 weeks? Well I can't get my pics to load LOL. Gues I'mm gonna need help with that first.

Thanks in advance to everyone this forum rocks.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

To 3Reef!!!

Salutations! Glad to see you found way here!

:eek: wow that is allot to try and answer! All good questions though. I will take a stab at a couple of them...

You do not have to have a sump or refugium...just advantages to both if you do.

Make sure to test the perviously FW tank for any Cu residue that may be in there.

Sounds like you are off to a great start with equipment, LR and cycling. You have obiously been doing your homework.

Cycling will take some time so be patient.

Your 20 gal QT tank will work fine....

Study up and feel free to ask more when you are ready.

Good Luck

Scott

[​IMG]

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

[​IMG]

4. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Welcome to 3reef!!!

Everything sounds fine, and your doing the right thing by asking lots of questions. Do yourself a favour and go buy a good marine aquarium book, as it will be the most invaluable sources of information you can get your hands on. That can give you an idea of setups, maintenance and cleaning, tank design, and even livestock!

Good luck and welcome to the hobby :)

Breed

5. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Hey BigJoe....if your tank's been cycling since the 8th, it's not done cycling. Your parameters will go up and down during your cycling. I would give it at least 6 to 8 weeks. The Penguin filters should be fine now, but I would suggest getting a canister filter, specially if you're going to be running carbon, it's much much cheaper to use media bags and buy carbon by the bucket/bottle. As for the Koralia, it should be fine, but you'll need more than one, remember that you have to take care of those "dead spots" so debris, fish waste, etc etc can be pushed up and picked up by your filter.

As for using tap water...it all depends...have you ever tested your water for total dissolved solids? a TDS meter? that should tell you a lot. In my case, I also used tap water, only to have a horrible case of "green water" a month after my tank cycled. I had to buy a UV sterelizer and I've been running it since.

Once your tank has cycled, you don't need to make such a big water change...10-15 percent should be enough. You don't want to take everything out of balance in such a new tank.

I don't have a sump or refuge and I'm doin' fine.

You can pm me anytime, I went through all of this recently and I could tell you how to save some cash so you don't go buying stuff you won't need. I know where you're coming from, I had a fresh water tank too and I thought a lot of the steps used/applied into a FW tank would easily migrate to SW tanks...a big no no.
    Ah, don't forget about lighting....you need different lights for SW tanks.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Patience is the key. Don't rush and you'll be fine.

6. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

Well everybody I think my tank has finished cycling. Tested my water 2 days in a row Ammo-0 Nitrites-0 Nitrates 5- 10ppm. Does this means everything is good and I can do a PWC? Also some of the rock still smells. Does this means its not fully cured yet? It's just a couple of the big ones.

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I think you might be ready for a partial water change.

The smelly rock might mean it's not yet cured, although I've had rock that smelled after years. . . I'd say though--that even the smelly LR performed its task just as well as the non scented type. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

QT tank is plenty big IMO, all you are going to do is keep fish in there for a week or 2 and watch for problems. Mine is a 10 gallon, no rocks, no sand, PH, HOB filter, no light and a heater. No rocks makes it easy to catch fish when moving them to big tank. I put a couple of plastic bowel's I cut several holes in to give the fish a place to hide so they don't get to stressed. QT tank needs to be able to be cleaned and disinfected easily IMO.

I know I am long winded but I also hope maybe this will help you out, Oh yeah I almost forgot.

GO SLOW, GIVE IT TIME, IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL PAY LATER AND THAT IS PRETTY MUCH A GUARANTEE.

Have fun.....

1 person likes this.
  11. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

That's a good idea I will change out 20gal only. So my cycle will continue, it's not safe for fish yet? I have 4 snails that came with the LS they seem a little more active now that everything getting stable. Starting to clime on the rock also. I'm gonna wait a few weeks anyway before I put a fish in there. Want to QT them.

I have a aquaclear filter that's been on the SW tank for the whole cycling process. Just been running carbon and a sponge in it. This will take care of the seeding right? I will put up the QT tomorrow. How long before I can put a fish in there. And please explain why everybody says I have to keep doing PWC on it every other day or so? And im gonna get a 10 gal QT.

12. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

BigJoe....hasn't your tank been up only since the 8th of this month???? If so, your cycle ain't done yet....it takes more than 20 days to reach a full cycle state.....buy some Stabiliby to help a bit...don't add fish yet. No need to change water during cycling....it will throw everything off balance. Let it be.