an anemone first?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Peredhil, Sep 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

My 55 gallon tank is still cycling and will, eventually, be a reef tank. So this question is for later. But I want to start researching specific creatures now.

My question is this: I have 2 clownfish and I'd like to get them an anemone at some point. I've read that these things (anemone) can be a problem with reefs. So my thought is if I get the anemone first (before any corals), I can let the anemone pick its own spot and later place any coral around that... I read that once anemone picks a nice spot, they'll generally, more or less, stay put.

Is that silly thinking? Or is there logic to it?

Recommendation on a good anemone for this purpose?
    (This is my first tank, so nothing difficult to keep)

==========
    Specs:
    55 gallon. 50lb CC. 35+lb LR. ~30lb holy limestone.

In a week I'm ordering: 48 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 4x54W T5HO with 4 Lunar Lights

In 2-3 weeks I'm going to order some powerhead's (still haven't picked them out).

So the plan would be to get the anemone several weeks after the powerheads. I'm in no hurry, just doing my research.

I'm thinking I haven't yet reached the time I need a protein skimmer, but it is on my radar.

Current stock of life:
    2 Clownfish, 2 damsel, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Snails, 1 blue legged hermit

(before you point out the cruelty of having these in a cycling tank :-/, these guys came with the tank and I didn't have anything else to do with them. My LFS can barely speak English :-X, so I just don't go there, they can't help me if I can't talk to them. Closest English speaking LFS I know of is an hour away).

Thanks everyone

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have a condy anenome with a maroon clown hosting. The condy does move around. Not much but it does move. A few weeks ago I noticed that it moved about three inches to the right. That was in response to me moving my Koralia to hit a dead spot in the tank and stir things up a bit. Generally, though, it will settle down in a place it likes, where light and flow are good for it.

In terms of what anenome to get and when? I wouldn't get an anenome until your tank is about six months old. I pushed the outer envelope and got one right after mine cycled and lucked out. General rule of thumb is wait until your tank is established. Research what kind of anenome your clowns tend to host and how big it will get. For example, if a carpet anenome were the first choice for your clowns, in a 55g, I would probably go for choice #2 because of the size constraint. That's about all I can think of.

1 person likes this.
  4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Nope thats logic, that way the anemone wont sting your reef when it moves round, as it has already found its spot to be.
    But on the down side,if you want longevity from an anemone you shouldnt really put it in a tank thats less then a year old.

1 person likes this.
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Agreed.

A mature tank is the way to go before thinking about anemones.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Thanks for the tips (everyone else too!)

Like I said, I'm in no hurry, just doing the research well in advance. I've already settled that I've got a few more months before I can add the "cool stuff" 8).

7. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

You also stated that you were looking for an easier anemone to buy- fact is, is that they are all very difficult creatures to attempt to maintain. The least difficult would be a bubble tip anemone- mainly because they can actually do well under T5's or PC's, as opposed to most of the other anemones which require stronger lighting such as MH's. (I realize there are exceptions to this, such as my LFS which for the past 5 years has managed to maintain a thriving mertin's carpet under normal fluorescent lighting (2 x 36w's over a 55g).

Honestly though, most other anemones will slowly waste away under any lighting less than Metal halides, and most people who buy anemones (non-bubble tip) think that their anemone is doing fantastic when really, the true determining factor with these creatures is time. (IMO If your anemone has grown and kept its color/form a year from your purchase date- then, and only then- can you claim that your anemone is doing well in your tank)

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would refrain from the idea of purchasing an anemone, especially with the two main reasons that anemones fail being met. Those two factors are the fact that your tank has not matured long enough, and the second being more important , is the fact that husbandry and care requirements are so much more detailed than with most other invertebrates, that especially by a novice, these beautiful animals should be left to the oceans and advanced aquarists only.
    This is not to put you or anyone else, with the skill and maturity level that you possess, down just some wisdom to make you more successful and help you to enjoy the hobby that much more!

10. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

I would steer clear as well. Why chance that six months from now he decides to move and ruins a hundred bucks worth of coral in 15 mins. just because he decided to move 6 inches down the tank. Not worth the chance in my mind. Clowns will host a variety of things, I would try something stationary. Just my .02

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

What other things will they host? I have noticed they seem to hang out in the holy limestone I have at night. I'm interested in helping the Clown's as my real goal here - I'm not set on a big pretty anemone or anything (all the more reason to refrain, I suppose :p)

As a side note, I have three anemone's in there now that the original tank owner had plucked from the Gulf of Mexico. (I am *not* advocating doing this) As far as I can tell, they're fine (good coloring and they're not shrinking). They are about the diameter of a quarter and purple. I'll post a pic later - I've been meaning to get help identifying them. The Clown's don't seem to notice them. The shrimp likes to stand on one of them (weird). I'll post a pic this afternoon when I get home.

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Some clowns will host corals like flower pots. It's not too good for the flower pot, but it gives you an idea. In fact, if you put a pic of Scott Baio on the glass, the clown would probably host that as well. They like to host.