too much lighting??

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by suckafish, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

so currently i have a 29 gal.(14 in from the top of the tank to the sand) sometime in the future i am going to move over to my 55 corner (24 in from the top to the bottom). and i would like to only have to buy one light that i can use on my 29 in the mean time and then move to the 55 when i bump up in a year or so. i know i am going to need metal halide for the 55, but would that be to much for my 29.is that possible to have to much?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You could use 150w MH only one

4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Just a thought, I bought 2 250 watt MH for my 55 with the same idea in mind... I can reuse them on a 100 gallon if (when;)) I decide to upgrade. Would one 250 be way overkill on a 29?? I wouldn't think so, then you could add one more when u get your 55, then one more when you get your 120, then.... ;D! Let's let some of the "experts" chime in on this idea!!

5. suckafish

ok so one 250 on the 29... and two on the 55. the only reason its not salt yet is because it has some freshwater friends that i am not ready to lose...

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I think a 250 on a 29 is too much, just imo.

7. bmshehan

Don't take this idea for the gospel and hit the buy button, I am an expert by no means!! I would talk to Tangster, he knows his stuff when it comes to lighting. Also, if you talk to him he might be able to get you a good deal on some lights, mine should be somewhere between me and him right now!

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

But karma for planning ahead... like I said I'm doing the same thing right now. Going balls to the wall so I never say "I wish I could keep this coral" or "It's going to cost too much in lighting to upgrade to that 100." The difference between 150watt and 250watt is about $10-$20, well worth it when you consider I have spent over $600 on lights alone!!

But once again I will never say "I wish I would have....."

10. suckafish

yeah i really want to move to the 55 tank, i like it the square corner. it has three panels, so it would look bad a$$. but that wont be till i can keep this tank alive for at least a year. i want a new light, even thought i jusssttttttt put new bulbs in.

11. suckafish

what would you think about a 1 150 metal and 2 39wat T5? that wouldnt be to much for the 29 and i could just another seperate 250 metal when i move up to the 55...

12. bmshehan

I would think 1 150 MH would be PLENTY for a 29, then you could add 1 more for a 55. This would be VERY adequate from my research, but then when you want to go 75g or above it would have to be bumped up to 250. That is why I went with 250s, but I pose the question that if a 250 wouldn't "bake" your tank, then go with it as long as your planning to upgrade for the future!!