Question about halides

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by IndianRiverRob, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

I am thinking about getting some halides for my new tank when I set it up and had a few questions. Can i just use a 400w halide on a 4' 75g or would 2 250w be better? I can get them at the same price so if I could get by with one that would be great for money reason and heat wise. Also should I go with 14k or 20k bulbs? I was going to add some t5 atinics also. Thanks Rob

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

I would get 2 250w and the 14k's

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i would go with the 2x250's, and i think the K's are up to you, i remember someone saying the lower the K rating the better for growing corals...but that could be wrong ;D

5. IndianRiverRob

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

+1, i use 14k's myself and find it to be a nice balance.

7. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

I just remember talking to tangster cause I am eventually ungrading my lighting to halides in my RSM(removing canopy). And he recommended a 250w with a 14k bulb.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

2x250w with VHO Super Actinics.

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I agree with Scott here, I have 2 250w MH 14K with 2 VHO super actinics over my 55 and I love the light, perfect by my standards. When you put 1 over a tank with a center brace you get a shadow in the tank under the brace. I have heard many on here that do this and it doesn't bother them or their stock but (personal preference) I like the full, uninterrupted lighting without a darker area in the middle. Hope I helped out!

11. IndianRiverRob

Thanks for all your answers, but let me restate the question a little would the 400w be enough where I could put the less light dependant corals on the ends and the higher in the middle? Also, if i got the 400 and didn't like it could I add another 400 without over heating the tank? Thanks again Rob?

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It would really depend on how deep the tank is, but it should be more than enough, specially mixed in with the T5's.
    I actually prefer the one light, it makes it easier to move things closer in/farther out from the light depending on the individual needs of the corals. I dont have anything too fancy, just some green buttons and GSP's, but Ive already had to move the buttons away from the MH as it was a little too much for them. This would be harder to do with two lights.