Old hamilton MH...

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by gkw, May 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I can get my hands on a hamilton pendant 175w MH for a good price. It looks like this pendant from hamilton's site. It is 5 years old.

Can I change the pendant to reflector later on when I want to? Is reflector better than pendant? What bulb can I use with it?

Thanks!
    GKW

2. Click Here!

3. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

if you are open to other options, i'm selling a reefstar system. if you want to take a peek, it's in the classifieds....

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks for the offer Jonathan, but I am going to see if the hamilton pendant will fall through.

What do you guys think about this hamilton pendant 175w???

Thanks!

5. jonathan

the only thing i've ever heard about pendants of that style is that the lightspread tends to be uneven. unless of course you had somewhat of a square tank (length and width being the same dimensions).

6. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Hmm...so, I would be ok if I were to buy a reflector instead of using the bell shape pendant?

7. jonathan

are you hanging the pendant or is it to be enclosed inside of something....i'm confused with your intentions of the light...

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

pendant should have a reflector, just not the new design from hamilton. Pendants are not good for odd shaped tanks. I have one, it's great. It's the newer low profile SE model.

10. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

The one I am getting are white inside the bell shape reflector. I am planning to either hang it up on my open top or take the socket out and put it with one of those allumium reflector and build a canopy for it.

All I need is to get a bulb and I am set for now. I can build a canopy for it later.

The real question I guess is if this 5 years old 175w MH hamilton pendant fixture worth getting?

Thanks!