Newbie question - Metal Halides Retrofit Kits

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Peter@JAX, Jun 13, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peter@JAX

Peter@JAX Astrea Snail

I am looking into upgrading my lighting from the 2 Corallife PC's to MH retro kit.
    the question I have is in regards to what light spectrum to get (5500k, 6500k, 10k). My current tank is a 90g with about 80lbs of live rock and more on the way from TBSW. I was looking at the following setup:

48" 2x175W 2-96W Actinic Bulbs

Any input would be great..
    Thks
    Pete

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Pete,
    For a setup that would make your system look really nice and be more flexible I would go with 2 x 250watts MH around the 10000K color range. You could go with a bright white bulb, USHIO 10K or a slightly more blue bulb that is less expensive, the XM 20K which puts out good PPFD.

Jim

4. Peter@JAX

Peter@JAX Astrea Snail

Forgive this question:

What is the big difference between 175w or 250w? I don't have a chiller (yet)
    Would I also include some actinic light using my coralife 48" power compacts?

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

the 250 watt mh will put out more light and PAR so it will let you keep more light demading corals. 175 watt bulbs are not much netter than 150's. imo :)
    I always like the actinics, they make the corals who flouress look really nice. I think they add lots of Eye appeal ;)

Jim