New MH lights, great lights

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by rjweng, Aug 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rjweng

rjweng Astrea Snail

Well I havn't posted in a while but, I did buy this light;
    Odyssea 36" 480W Metal Halide Aquarium Light Ver.4 eBay: Odyssea 36" 480W Metal Halide Aquarium Light Ver.4 (item 130008894724 end time Jul-20-06 11:02:12 PDT)

So far it has made my Coralline bloom like crazy, but also helped the other algae grow, which the Coralline have ben winning that battle. The green star polyps love the light, and are actually growing good too.

Regarding the Light it's self, only thing I wish they had was more fans in the light to keep it cool. I have to look into it but I might add a fan to the top of the light to help with the release of heat, there is a mess cover there now. But I will just cut a part of that out and put a fan in there to pull the heat out.

Anyways I have had this light for about a month and it is a great light for the price. The seller on ebay was great too.

rj

2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Congrats! Best of luck to you and your corals under their new lights :) Glad to hear your success. Keeping those lights cool is certainly a good idea :)

4. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I would highly suggest that you change the capacitor in that unit. Mine caught fire and I know other people whos did the same. If I was not sitting in the same room-my house could of burnt. You can buy quality metal capacitor made in the USA from an electrical supply company for about $20 for the two. You will have to call around because that capacitor is not too common.
    If you dont feel comfortable doing the switch, pay someone to do it. JMHO and good luck

5. rjweng

rjweng Astrea Snail

How old is was your model, becuase I have heard of the older models having this issue. Also how many plugs does yours have? I know the older ones only have one plug for all the lights, this model has 1 for each light. here are some pics.

Attached Files:

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

post a pic of it in full swing. ;D

7. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

almost the same plug configuration, mine is not labeled and black-it is a $20 fix to save a potential fire. JMHO and good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Odyssea is going to kill someone.

rj this is not an isolated incident. It happened to a guy in my club as well as quite a few other forum members. These light are just down right dangerous. I would suggest returning it or replacing the cap like geoxman brought up.

10. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Oh my! I hope all works out for you. Thanks for the heads up Covey and geoxman.
    GLTA

11. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

I have been thinking of gettign the 20" for my nano. Who was the ebay seller?

12. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Covey and Geoxman,

How long did the people have these fixtures before the cap went out for them? I have had my fixture since June 21st and so for so good. Also did they have the ballasts in a well ventilated area? How long were they running the lights each day? im not trying to debunk obvious facts, or the knowledge of your friends. Just trying to get an idea of their practices vs mine.