Need advice on New Lighting Fixture Coralife Pro HQI

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Cat4wisson, Mar 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

Advice Please,

Im looking to upgrade my current lighting which is 2 54w compact florescent, total 216 watts to a fixture with MH combined with Compact Florescent bulbs. I was looking at this unit from Coralife, any comments?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578 3733 12113&pcatid=12113

I did a search on 3reef and didn't find anything on it.

Im running a 72 gal bowfront with leathers, polyps, torch coral, elegance coral,birdsnest, a bubble anemone and some mushrooms.

I want to suspend the fixture above the tank6-8 inches and also take off the glass hood that I currently have for better gas exchange.

It seems like dr fosters has a sale on this fixutre for 491.99(the 48" 492 Watt unit) They also have a 696 watt unit, but I think that over doubling the light output of my current fixture will be sufficent.

If anyone out there has used this fixture what is your impression, do you like it or not, any word on how durrable it is and anyone have any idea what the extra cost to run it over my current fixture would be?

Thanks for the Help

Cat4wisson

2. Click Here!

3. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't think you will have any problems with that light i don't know anything about but some one on this forum does

4. Cat4wisson

Anyone else have any experience with coralife fixtures in general, maybe not the one in the above post but any in the same line,

Good or Bad?

Cat4wisson

5. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

I am currently using the retrofit version of that lighting system on my 90 bow. I have been very pleased with the sytem so far (been in use for just over 1 year). I would think you would be pleased with that unit.

6. APC

APC Gigas Clam

WOW! That is a great deal. I have 2 of the 24" aqualight PRO's over my 120 and I love them.

One of the 24" light systems was over my old tank, so I have had it for 3 years now with not one single problem. When I upgraded to a longer tank, I bought the second fixture and they are now hanging side by side. I have replaced bulbs (as a function of maintenance, not because they broke or anything). The lights run really well and all the parts are high quality. I have had no corrosion or electrical issues at all.

I highly suggest the light...especially at that price. I paid probably $100 more for that same fixture 3 months ago. One note, if you plan to hang the fixture - which I reccommend as the legs provided put the light too close to the water in my opinion - you will need to order the hanging kit - it is cheap though, less then $20 and includes everything you need.

7. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I personally think the Current sunpod model is one step higher in quality than Coralife. They are both companies that produce good not the best quality. But for the price this is why most people have fixtures from one of these two companies

8. Click Here!

9. Cat4wisson

Thanks for the feedback, I ordered it today. It makes me feel much better to see some possitive feedback on these lights.

I also ordered the hanging kit so I can hand it above the tank,

How far should I hand it above the tank?

Can't wait for them to come in.

Thanks for the help

Cat4wisson