My MH Installation

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by JupiterSailfish, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

Today all the parts arrived for my MH and I could finally start installing it. Well I guess I could of installed the reflector in the other day, but I wanted to wait till I had everything. Stupid fake hurricane messed up shipping.

So this is what my light setup looked like before:
    [​IMG]

Obviously I took the bulbs out, two Power Compact 65 watts each. Took the lid of the canopy off and unscrewed everything.

This is when I noticed my reflectors looked a little yellow:confused: Ah, I guess this would be the infamous reflector protective film that I always hear about. That was left on there about a month so it was baked on pretty good and would only tear off into tiny pieces.

[​IMG]

My Mother suggested I put an ice cube on it so that it would come off easier. Ok. It did indeed come off easier. Can kind of see the ice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost our whole ice box later I finally get the film off of both reflectors. After gazing at the shininess for a few minutes I get back onto task and start measuring where I'm putting everything.

[​IMG]

A screw here and another one over there and I'm done lol.

[​IMG]

Screw the lid back on and test it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have to put in another actinic to replace the white bulb in my Power Compact, buy a few fans, and I think I'm finally done setting up my aquarium.

Thanks a lot Tangster. I love how much more purpleish the light makes the tank look. I can already tell the corals are happier, even though I could tell they were mad at me for messing with the lights.

2. Click Here!

3. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Nice job Jupiter. It's always nice to diy. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted.

4. JupiterSailfish

Thanks! My Xenia closed up though. It is at the top of the tank, could it be getting too much light or maybe it isn't used to the added light yet? My Pipe Organ, Star Polyps, and Torch Coral are all out.

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Good work!! Every now and then my xenia looks like a stub of what it once was--only to open up the next day in all its resplendent pulsating splendor!

Well done on the DIY retro job.

Keep the pics coming once the corals start showing you their true meaty selves!

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Oh Heck I'm so sorry I forgot all about that old fan I have .. if you want a New set of good Actinic P/C's let me know and I'll put the fan in also just remind me . Really sorry to have over looked that , Did the reflector set/fit right at the water line ? Tanks looks awesome and the coral needs to be shaded a tad until its get used to the light :) Its very intense and watch the heat.. I will use nothing but those sps bulbs best ever had seen .. I assume my packing the bulb in that box worked LOL I can just ship the fan also matters not to me I am really sorry I forgot that .. I kept thinking there is somthing else I know there is but ??? :-X

7. JupiterSailfish

No worries on the fan. I'll let you know about the light. I put the Xenia lower in the tank and kind of under a rock and now it is pulsating like crazy! A lot faster than before.

How long should I run the MH? I have a little battery fan that I stuck in there for now. The wood on top got really hot, but I put the fan in there and it cooled off a ton. Water is only up to 79.8 on two hours with the MH running.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. JupiterSailfish

[​IMG]

Ghetto fan, but it works for now.
    [​IMG]

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Is it just the angle/picture, or is that MH so far back that it's inline with the overflow? If so, you might consider getting it towards the center of mass of the tank.

Everthing looks great otherwise. :)

11. JupiterSailfish

I just checked to make sure, it's just the angle. There might be less than a 1/4" sticking over if that.

1 person likes this.
  12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Looks awesome, you wont regret getting the MH. But as mentioned below, just watch the temp. Keep the pics coming.;D Luna