MH mag. vs. elec.?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by vivas, Sep 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vivas

vivas Plankton

i'm back on this forum with another question. recently bought an 80 gallon tank (couldn't resist) thinking of trying out a MH kit. 2 x 250 watt magnetic ballast from Sun Aquatics. Q: should i go for an electronic ballast instead? is it worth the savings on the electric bill? i heard of leaks with electric ones is this common? some inverts are sensitive to magnetic fields, am i paranoid?

many more Q still... this is enough for now.

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes. ;D
    If you look at how efficient an electronic ballast is over a magnetic one. There will be a savings in the long run.
    IMO there is nothing wrong with a magnetic ballast either. They are readily available and there are many 250 watt bulbs that put out a higher light value than if they were on an electronic ballast. It's all a matter of taste and how much money you want to spend. Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I was told by a fellow reefer that electronic ballasts are not yet perfected and could malfunction in the long run. He said magnetics are way more heavy duty and that electronics are too "sensitive".

5. vivas

vivas Plankton

thank you guys for the quick replies, i thought i heard the same argument fo mag. ballasts. so it's def. confirmed. i'll go now and spend my money wisely.

6. vivas

vivas Plankton

oh oh i'm back again, i ran into TAR ballasts now, they are cheaper but i heard same deal with overheating and leaking. what you guys think 'bout them?