MH Light Opinion Check

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by techno2, Mar 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Does anyone know if this light / Vendor is any good ?
    36" 442W Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) - 504013

I have a 46gal tank with a Coral Life t5 ho 4 x 60 w w/lunar lights currently/.

Is this an upgrade or about the same ? Problem with the CL is that is only 24" as it came from my other tank

\Cheers

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Great thanks. I really need to stop being lazy and use the *&^&* search..

\Cheers

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

yeah it took me all of about 10 seconds :lol: I get lazy too!!!

6. glassbox-design

glassbox-design Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The bulbs and ballasts i hear are not any good, IIRC the ballast will not fire a normal HQI bulb.

With that said, if you factor in a ballast and bulb you're still paying a good amount of $$ for some cheap plastic.

Have you considered making your own floating canopy? a thin ply box, say 36x12x3.5in with some DE retros will be more effective and attractive.

Also, at 36in i'd suggest 2x150 DE's or 175w SE's over a single 250 DE

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have 3 lights from them and had only one problem with a ballast on a light I had for about 3 months, called them and they replaced it no questions asked.

Newer light are fine its their older ones that are questionable as far as I know.

8. Click Here!

9. Calawah

Calawah Astrea Snail

There's a lot of talk about aquatraders not having very good customer support. You might want to try "hommby" on ebay, it's the same product I think.

I have a similar fixture by Odyssea, the 36" with 1 175W DE MH. I'm not running it currently, as I plan to replace the ballast and bulbs. The guy who sold me my tank threw it in for free, he did warn me that the ballast can get very hot. But if you look at the cost of the unit and the price of a new ballast and bulb, it's still a cheaper than most of the other options out there, assuming you don't just upgrade a year later!