MH HQI and Others...

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by markgsiy, Nov 27, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Ok.. I have another (possibly stupid) question regarding lighting... What is the difference in double ended Metal Halides and the regular socket type Metal Halides ? Are there other types ??? (as you can tell I am not sure about this stuff). Which is better for a reef tank ?

The reason is that I am looking at upgrading my lighting and the one that looks good is the "3' PROTOSTAR 250 WATT 10,000K HQI & FLUORESCENT 95W VHO" from Hamilton Tech. (http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=48031&cat=3&). This looks good as it has that dawn to dusk ballast.

Or should I just get a regular Metal Halide from say PFO Lighting. Are there others that are cheaper ?

It seems that both use different types of Metal Halide. Which one is preferred for a reef tank?

Another question is... based on my current tank (35 GAL), is a single MH with dual PC/VHO actinics good enough or should I opt for the dual MH with dual PC/VHO actinics ? Tank dimensions are 36" x 12" x 16".

Last question... do ALL Metal Halide fixtures have that dawn to dusk effect (I'm assuming this means that the MH will slowly decrease/increase in intensity when turned off/on). If not, what specific type of ballast should I look for.

Thanks..

MS

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Tanken From http://www.pfolighting.com/aqwebsite/BulbBallastCombination.htm  
    "The standard ballast has a transformer and capacitor in the circuit. The HQI ballast has a transformer, capacitor, and an igniter in the circuit. The pulse start has a transformer, capacitor, and an igniter in the circuit.
    The European lamps work best with an igniter in the circuit.(Ushio, AB, Radium). The HQI ballast generally simulates the European ballast closer than the pulse start ballast does. However, the pulse start ballast is a lot less expensive than the HQI ballast. If you are on a budget and want the European lamps than get a pulse start ballast to ensure these lamps will fire. However, the light output will probably be reduced.
    As a general rule we do not recommend the pulse start ballast on European bulbs. If you are trying to make a decision on running a European lamp on a standard ballast or a pulse start ballast, choose the pulse start ballast"

Hope this helps

J

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

J that's great info! [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]
    Do you have any info on what electronic ballasts are about?

@markgsiy -

I think a single MH with actinics would be fine on a 35 gallon.
    MH setups do not have a dawn/dusk effect. The only one that truly did was a pendant by Coralife and that has been discontinued. YOu could argue they have the dawn effect because it takes a while to get them going full blast, but they turn off in a second. Most use actinics also, staggering on and off times with the MH so that there is a transition.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Awesome information J. You da man!

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have to admit I searched Google for HQI Ballast and cut and pasted from the first www that wasn't a e-store.
    Sorry I'm not very smart. To hard to keep it all in my pea sized brain. Just got lucky on Google.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish