MH and canopy, heat & gas xchange

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by luvreefs23, Feb 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Im starting a 90 gallon all-glass mega flow aquarium, i have had a custom canopy & stand built and plan on using metal halide lighting (2x250watt). The Canopy is xtra high for the reason of the metal halides and cooling issues. My question is about the gas exchange, the back of the canopy is open and the top is a one piece piano hinged lid, i didnt want holes in the top of the canopy because of the light being able to escape and look like the sun rising in the room. I have a 4.5 inch hole driled on both sides of the canopy (one sucking air in and one pushing it out using fans that push 106cfm.) They are pretty powerful little fans, that should be enough air for sufficient cooling with gas exchange right? If i have to, ill buy a chiller, my concern is about the gas xchange and some cooling. Im unsure about which lighting ill be using but im really leaning towards the aqua medic MH-T5 combo lighting. Any help is appreciated. btw, first post on 3 reef.

Thanks in advance
    Dennis

2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

welcome to the 3reef,
    Didnt I read this post somewhere else today?:)Just joking!!!
    It sounds like your gas exchange will be fine you can always help this with a powerhead directed to break the surface
    a return line / spraybar can do the same thing!!
    Also your cooling fans will work wonders in the summer months.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

As long as the tank is not cover with a glass/plexi glass you will be fine. The problem with the gas exchange is when the tank cant breath b/c it has a lid, like a tupperware.

5. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Thanks guys, thats what i was hoping to hear, ill be breaking the water surface plenty and turning the tank water over around 35 times and hour. U think thats good?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I believe the rule of thumb is 10X the total amount of tank vol.

7. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

yea 35x is going hard but if its what you need to support your tank mates thats fine.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey luvreefs23, I have the same set-up that your going to have and I have a Magdrive 18 which produces 1800 gph @ 0' of head. I should have about 4' head so I should have around 1500-1600 gphin a 90 gal

10. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Lunatik 69, unsure about your last post. Im using a eheim 1262 pump as a return for the 90 gallon. The overflow is rated at 600 gallons per hour, my lfs who create beautiful reefs for customers recommended the eheim for my aquarium because its what they used time and time again for simple plumbing setups. I meant i should be turning around 35 times an hour the tank volume using the eheim and tunze nano streams. Eheim with 4 feet of head pressure should pump around 600-650 back into the tank an hour, pretty much whats draining per hour correct? Heavy flow and pristine water for hard coral is what im shooting for.

11. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

what kind of fans will you be running? do u have a set up pic?