MH for 135?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by mandarin11, Feb 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Okay, so it''s a possibility that I may be turning a 135 FO into a reef tank in a little bit for my parents. We're at least going to turn it into a FOWLR. I'm trying to convince them to get MH's so we can put corals in it down the road. As is always the issue with MH's the price has become somewhat of a factor. (We're talking 72" here. That = $$$$$):-/ If I can find an inexpensive way to get MH's into the tank then they'll consider getting them, otherwise it's on to PC with barely enough wattage to sustain coralline growth.

So does anybody have any suggestions that would be cheaper than buying the 72" fixture from aquatraders? I'm open to any ideas, even retrofits, but haven't found any that are cheaper than buying the aquatraders fixture. Also, if it turns out that buying the fixture ($599) is the only way to go, then would a 60" be okay or would it look weird over a 72" tank?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

unless you are the winning bidder I think aquatraders is your next best choice.. a lot of people don't like/trust their lights the "Odysea" brand but I have the T6's from A.T. and they been great for me so far!

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont think that you'll find a cheaper price than that, unless you buy a used one. I bought mine form this guy and he usually offers free shipping.
    72" 1134W Metal Halide Aquarium Reef Light w/ FREE Ship[​IMG]</IMG>
    System Support: 3x250W HQI, 4x96W CF, 8xBluemoon LED
    You might get away with a 60", just center it above the tank.