Metal halide watt question.

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by coral reefer, Jun 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I just received two of the three metal halide pendants for my new 125 gallon reef tank! Hamilton REEFSTAR 250 watt 14000k bulb pendants. Now the question is, which I have been debating back and forth is for my third pendant, do I go with another 250 watt 14000k, or do I step up and go with a 400 watt pendant with either 14000k or 20000k bulb?
    I am going to have mainly Acropora and Montipora(though they are going to be rare, different kinds of corals like those sold in Exotic reefs-SPStoner.com, REEFermadness.com and extreme corals.com.
    Just can't decide which way to go! please help so I can end this drama once and for all. The only thing left for me to do is get my AQUA C EV180 skimmer!!!YEAH!!!!!:-/

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

coral_reefer, how are you measuring your wattage? You can go with the 400w dead center and supplement with the other 250's.

Hey, hey, what about darklordcoral.com??? Vamp is gonna be pissed for not considering his site. ;D

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I actually forgot about his site, yes, include his as well!!!!!
    I was planning on placing the 400 watt either in the middle or to one side. Basically, to enable me to keep the really intense light requiring corals like the superman Denae etc. Can I get the same results under 250 mh's as I can with the 400 watt mh's? Even if I have to place them high up in the tank!