metal halide retro kit

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by meklo, Aug 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. meklo

meklo Plankton

I have a 175 watt metal halide retro kit. I have it mounted in a capony that I built. What I am wondering is if I can change the wattage of the light by changing the ballast or do I need to buy a whole new kit. It'll save me probably 100 dollars if I can just get a new ballast and bulb and plug my old reflector and bulb into it. Any help would be appreciated.

meklo

2. Click Here!

3. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

I learned some about MH ballasts because of a capacitor going out on a 2x400 probe start and researching it on the net. Fortunatly I was able to get one at hellolights for a fraction of the cost of a new outfit and the ballasts are up and running again. If it's electronic I don't know, but don't think so. If it's probe start you have to have the right ballast for bulb wattage and capacitor, same with pulse except an ignitor also, so basically a whole new retro except for the reflector.

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

The short answer is... yes
    The good retro kits have the wire, reflector, mogul socket, power cord, enclosure and the ballast. All you need is a new ballast with the right wattage and the proper bulb to go along with it. Make sure that you match the bulb to the ballast. Probe or pulse start? Here is one of the better lighting links with all the wonderful information including ANSI codes to help you out.
    Aquarium-Lighting-Guide.com - Metal Halide, Fluorescent, Compact Fluorescent, VHO, T5

Enjoy,

Jim