ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #111
Great White Shark

Skin: Mint
Robman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJo9 View Post
did you notice different color popping with the purple rather then all blue? what is the reason for this?
When I first put them in, being I run the actinics 11hrs. I had 2 purple bulbs in there. It was just WAY to purple to look at. So I put 1 blue and 1 purple. It still is pretty purple, but nice to look at. As far as the difference in the green colors popping. I did not see a real big difference with 2 purple, or 1 of each.
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #112
Great White Shark

Robman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I believe Dingo runs the same way...1 Blue and 1 Purple. BTW the purple seems to make the greens pop a little better than the blue.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #113
Great White Shark

gallery

Here is a pic during the build so you can see how they are set up

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/rmeder/Canopy086.jpg
Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #114
Giant Squid

Skin: Dark
Dingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

well bradjo, looks like rob really answered most of your questions haha!

but if your doing 14k I would recommend Ushio, great growth.
And as Robman said, the actinics do bring out a lot of colors, mostly green, orange, and occasionally a red or purple.
The different wavelengths from the purple and the blue lights determine what color will be reflected by the coral. if your interested in the technical info just let me know and ill send you some links
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #115
Skunk Shrimp

kracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I have a standard 90 gallon that is 48"x18"x24" I am thinking of setting up with MH lighting. I also have an icecap 660 that will be either running a few t5 bulbs or some VHO's as suppliment. I was thinking of 2 250w lights. Will this be enough tank coverage and what reflectors, ballasts, and bulbs would you recommend. I like a tank with a blue look but would also like good growth for a mainley sps dominated tank.
kracer1025 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #116
Giant Squid

Dingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond reputeDingo has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracer1025 View Post
I have a standard 90 gallon that is 48"x18"x24" I am thinking of setting up with MH lighting. I also have an icecap 660 that will be either running a few t5 bulbs or some VHO's as suppliment. I was thinking of 2 250w lights. Will this be enough tank coverage and what reflectors, ballasts, and bulbs would you recommend. I like a tank with a blue look but would also like good growth for a mainley sps dominated tank.
Two will be enough. If you want the bluer look but still decent coral growth, go with a phoenix 14k on an icecap or lumatek ballast. Do you have a canopy or do you want to just run then above your tank with some reflectors?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #117
Skunk Shrimp

kracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond reputekracer1025 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I have a canopy. It is a standard AGA canopy the top is about 10 inches from the water. What reflectors would you recommend?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #118
Giant Squid

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

well with only 10 inches it is tricky... im pretty firm on buying lumenbrite or lumenmax reflectors but that is not a lot of distance there for one. The reflectors truthfully are verrry important for not losing a lot of light and for actually getting it into your tank
Old 04-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #119
Skunk Shrimp

gallery

How far above the water would you recommend I need to place the reflector to keep the heat down and to prevent splashing on the bulb. My other tank is lit with LEDS so I have never really had to worry about heat or height above the water.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #120
Giant Squid

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracer1025 View Post
How far above the water would you recommend I need to place the reflector to keep the heat down and to prevent splashing on the bulb. My other tank is lit with LEDS so I have never really had to worry about heat or height above the water.
the height of the reflectors is 9" so it will be tight to fit in the canopy. that will also give a lot of heat down into the water so you will have to get a lot of air-flow across the surface.

What LED's do you have on your other tank and why are you moving from led to MH? were you not happy with the LED?

Click Here!